Belt Tensioner

super88

my truck would squek everyone once in awhile more when it was cold, so the other day someone tells me to throw wd-40 and boy did that noise get worse.. it gets louder when I accelerate, I threw water on it and it stops for a bit.. is this a belt issue or maybe I need a new belt tensioner???? Are those expensive?

I had a similar issue on my Tahoe. wd-40 worked to quiet it down for a bit, but it came back on wd-40 is not good for belts.

I originally thought it was something with the Power steering, so I replaced the pump. That did not work but it needed to be done anyway. Then I replaced the belt tensioner and it did not go away. I then replaced my belt and now it purrs like a kitten.

I would try the belt first. And belt tensioners are like $20-$25

Yeah I ll try that because when we sprayed that WD-40 it got worse and when I threw water on it it stopped a bit.

I had a similar issue on my Tahoe. wd-40 worked to quiet it down for a bit, but it came back on wd-40 is not good for belts.

I originally thought it was something with the Power steering, so I replaced the pump. That did not work but it needed to be done anyway. Then I replaced the belt tensioner and it did not go away. I then replaced my belt and now it purrs like a kitten.

Yeah ill try the belt first.. because when I threw the water on it it stops. Is it hard to do by yourself?

$5 Bucks says its a belt. When you lubricate the belt with water it stops slipping which is what makes the noise.

Dang I must of gotten the shaft. I just picked on up a few weeks ago and it was like $37!! But it was preloaded with the pully on so maybe thats why.

Mine was squeaking and I sprayed belt dressing on it and it would quieten for a bit, then start back. To make a long story short, it was my water pump causing my belt to squeak. Thought it was just the belt, but my water pump pulley was very loose even though the pump had not leaked. :squintnoeswerdrun: Replace the pump and both belts. All is quiet again.

Mine was squeaking and I sprayed belt dressing on it and it would quieten for a bit, then start back. To make a long story short, it was my water pump causing my belt to squeak. Thought it was just the belt, but my water pump pulley was very loose even though the pump had not leaked. :squintnoeswerdrun: Replace the pump and both belts. All is quiet again.

I've used that belt dressing and it ruined two belts. I'll never use that stuff again.