The Great 5.3L

Willoverkill

Hey everyone. Got a question that I bet I can get a quick answer to.

Got a 1999 chevy 1500. Had a 5.3L engine. It's dead. Can we use one from a 2004 truck?

(not worried about tuning. Got that covered. Just need to know if the current harness will work and of things like alternator and power steering will work or bolt on)

Thanks!

Hey everyone. Got a question that I bet I can get a quick answer to.

Got a 1999 chevy 1500. Had a 5.3L engine. It's dead. Can we use one from a 2004 truck?

(not worried about tuning. Got that covered. Just need to know if the current harness will work and of things like alternator and power steering will work or bolt on)

Thanks!

You can use a 4.8, 5.3, 6.0 LS series engine from 99-06 Trucks direct swap

You can also use the following engines if you change the oil pan, windage tray, dipstick, intake manifold, and crank pulley.

5.7 LS1 from 97-04 Corvette can be used

5.7 LS1 from 98-02 Camaro/Firebird can be used

5.7 LS1 from 04 Pontiac GTO can be used

5.3 LM4 from 03-04 SSR, Trailblazer, Envoy can be used

All of the engines that I have listed are 24 tooth reluctor

Edited by TXSZ66AVLANCHE (see edit history)

but do the 5.3s have different reluctor ring's like the 6.0 pretty sure they do. might want to make sure which one you have? black sensor is 24 tooth and grey sensor is 58 tooth? good luck.

I'm 99% sure from what I've read that all the way to at least 2006 all 4.8L/5.3L truck motors are ALL 24x but there could be some variation to that I am unaware of.

Well Im thinking that from your answers and the other info Ive seen that it should bolt right in.

(Not sure how I managed to put this in the wrong section, I was posting from my phone.. lol.. Big fat thumb must of hit the wrong topic)

Why would you want to reuse the old intake? New engines make more power...