New Member Seeking Help

Jroc

Hey guys I have been viewing the site for sometime now, I am located in Calgary, AB, Canada and looking to buy an SS soon! This is my first post I thought I may aswell just say hello here insted of making two threads. I am having a problem with my 2003 gmc sierra the whole instrument cluster no longer works I have searched this site as well as others looking for an anwser but have had no luck. I have determined the problem is infact the cluster itself becasue I swaped in the cluster from my brothers truck and it worked just fine, right now all the lights in the cluster still work including turn signals but everything else has stoped working. I was hoping you guys could help me fix this I would like to fix it myself and save the cost of sending it in, I did the L.E.D mod awhile ago and everything worked fine, but maybe that has something to do with it. any advise would be really apreciated.

Welcome to the site! pepsicheer.gif Good luck finding an SS! The cluster issue with your current truck is most likely the stepper motors in the cluster you can have it sent out and fixed or if you have a GM dealer near you you can buy a new one and they will program it for you to your truck. Very common problem.

Thanks for the quick response, I had also thought it might be the stepper motors however all the guages are out and it seems odd they would all die at once also the DIC and all lights like the tow haul light are out I remember reading a thread on this forum about re soldering something on the circuit board to fix it but I have searched everything I can think of and cant find that thread but I think that may be the problem. If anyone knows of the thread I am talking about can you please tell me where to find it thanks.

Problem is that because they all stoped working at once along with the warning lights gear indicator and DIC I think that it is something other than the stepper motors I have heard of people re soldering something on the circuit board to fix it but I dont know eacxtly what to solder.

• 1 month later...

I'm also new on here and from Calgary. I have an 04 and my dash cluster has quit working. Well, some of it - Tachometer and fuel gauge still seem to work fine. It started to go last year (speed was off) then eventually just quit working all together.

I'm not mechanically inclined at all so fixing/replacing it myself is not an option. I had it looked at once and was told there was a bulletin from GM out about it so they said call the dealer. Did that and was told there are no recalls or notices for my truck. I've now read about the class action lawsuit in the US and all that, but can't really find anything specific to Canada.

Just wondering if anyone else in Canada has dealt with this and if the dealer will replace it or am I on my own?

Its not stepper motors when all are inoperable. Its a connection at the back of the cluster. Hence when he said he put another one in and it worked. Disassemble and check the points at the main connector at the back of the cluster.

• 3 months later...

Its not stepper motors when all are inoperable. Its a connection at the back of the cluster. Hence when he said he put another one in and it worked. Disassemble and check the points at the main connector at the back of the cluster.

Is this connector repairable? And which one is it? Im picking up my 03 SS tomorrow and all the guages don't work.

Is this connector repairable? And which one is it? Im picking up my 03 SS tomorrow and all the guages don't work.

It's not the stepper motors and its not the connector. It is a completely separate issue and is actually a very inexpensive fix. You can send it to me if you like for a repair.

http://www.gmgaugeguy.com/