Caliper Piston Seal Replacement?

smalltownguy

Long story short I ****ed up and let one piston come out of the caliper and cut the seal that goes around it when trying to put it back in! So can it be replaced? Can I do it without fancy machines? Is putting a piston back in out of the question? Please help! Thanks guys!!!

same thing happened to me minus the cutting the seal, i freaked out. hopefully someone who knows will chime in. how'd you cut it?

edit: found this, maybe itll help http://www.lukekailburn.com/caliperrebuild.html

Edited by The_aSSet (see edit history)

Thanks and as for how I broke it well ha I replaced the rear rotors and pads and short version is I didn't put locktite back on the caliper bracket bolts and lost one on the way home one night!!!! Yeah sucked bad! Sounded so bad and felt so harsh when the caliper rotated into the wheel I thought the wheel fell off or somin serious snapped but I managed to limp into a gas station caliper dragging on wheel and all!!!! I had no tools with me for the first time in my life and bought a basic set from the gas station... Took the remaining bolt out and somehow had just enough and I mean fraction of a millimeter amount of room to take the whole caliper assembly off the rotor WITHOUT removing the wheel cause I even took my factory jack out when replacing the brakes earlier so haha best part is I strapped the dang oh caliper to the LEAFSPRING with a strap in my truck bed and limped home using the gears to control speed and limit braking HAHA yeah horrible idea and since the caliper had nothing to squeeze one piston popped out and luckily stayed sittin on the leaf spring but drained lots of my brake fluid and well ya get the picture!!! ALL THIS CAUSE OF ONE D@&$ BOLT WITH NO LOCKTITE!!!!!!!!

An old trick I've used to get the piston back in with out damaging the seals is adding a little compressed air to the caliper. Remove your bleed screw, hook up your air there and block the fluid port or vice versa. Make sure you put some kind of valve so you con open and close the air and you don't need a lot of pressure so turn your regulator down on your supply line or get an inline regulator. You have to hold back the other pistons if it is a multiple piston caliper. Hold the piston in place give it a little air and the seals should expand out as you push the piston in without damaging them.