How Do I Sell My Truck If I Still Owe On It?

thunderzy

I'm considering selling my 04 SSS. But I still owe on the loan I took out to buy it. Can I still sell it and provide a clear title on the day of sale? I've never done this and could use some help.

Thanks

Zack

the buyer will get you a check or cash you take it to the bank you have the loan though. they will pay off your truck with the money, write you a check for the rest of the money and will give you a lien release so the buyer can get the truck legal.

i know this because i have done it about 4 times this year.

GLWS

x 2 ^

also say your financed through "Wells Fargo Dealer Services" like me where you can't walk in and do actual transaction. You call and ask for a "payoff amount" which is usually good for 10 days, have the buyer give you a cahier's check for your agreed on amount. Deposit, send payoff amount to bank, receive title and have to meet up again to sign over title. That's what I did one time.

Edited by Bad Ass Silvy (see edit history)

I just bought a TBSS and the guy had a loan on it from a local credit union that had the title in hand and i was able to get the title rite then . with that said it all depends on who you have the loan with which will dictate how you do the sale...

x 2 ^

also say your financed through "Wells Fargo Dealer Services" like me where you can't walk in and do actual transaction. You call and ask for a "payoff amount" which is usually good for 10 days, have the buyer give you a cahier's check for your agreed on amount. Deposit, send payoff amount to bank, receive title and have to meet up again to sign over title. That's what I did one time.

This advice doesn't apply to Michigan, because it is not a title holding state. Even though there is a lein, the owner of the vehicle has the title.

Your best bet is to meet the buyer at your bank or credit union that the truck is financed through. You should be able to go in, pay off the truck and have the title signed over. If the place you financed the truck through is not local, it will be a little tougher. Like Bad Ass Silvy said, you call for a ten day payoff and send the money in to get the lein released. The tough part there is finding someone to buy the truck that trusts you enough with the money without the lein release.

Thank you to all that answered my question. Seems like its as simple as taking the potential buyer to the credit union and finalizing the exchange there. I wish I didn't have to sell the truck but with a 10 month old and one on the way I need something a bit more practical. Which also means boring, pissed about it. Truck has less than 91k on it and completely stock.

Thank you to all that answered my question. Seems like its as simple as taking the potential buyer to the credit union and finalizing the exchange there. I wish I didn't have to sell the truck but with a 10 month old and one on the way I need something a bit more practical. Which also means boring, pissed about it. Truck has less than 91k on it and completely stock.

I have a 4 year old and a 2 year old. Except for the fuel economy, I think these trucks are very practical. Good luck with the sale and enjoy your Camry.