Performabuilt Transmissions

So, as some of you may know I recently put a Radix on my truck. Unfortunately a few days after that I started having issues with my transmission. So obviously I had to order a new one. I did some research and found "Performabuit Transmissions". They had a really good price and a great warranty if I bought the tranny and converter as a package. So I bit the bullet and spent just under 3K on a level 2 transmission and 2800K stall on Dec. 12. Everything seemed pretty good at first...good customer service and fast shipping. So, when I received the tranny and stall I took it down and had it installed the same day Dec. 21 (which cost about $800 btw). Once I got it back I jumped in and immediately thought that something was wrong. It was revving so high just to barely get going. The only time it would really move is when i had my foot into it. So me being unfamiliar with driving a stalled truck I took it down to Zippy (ADS) to have him check it out. I thought it was because it needed to be tuned for it to drive normal. Zippy knew with in seconds that the stall was way too loose. About 1200 rpm too loose! So instead of me getting a 2800 stall I got a 4K stall!!! Obviously not something anyone would want in a daily driven truck with a radix building boost at about 2800rpm. So I called Frank at Performabuilt on Dec.23 to tell him about my issue. He seemed like he was going to get everything taken care of but said unfortunately the shop was closed that day and wouldn't open until 10 days later on Jan.2 and that I should call back then. So, being frustrated but understanding it was the holidays and there wasn't much I could do I waited until Monday, Jan 2 to call them. I called and talked to Frank and after explaining my situation again to him he said that he forgot that the shop was closed on that day because they didn't feel the need to work since the mail wasn't running that day as well (didn't make sense to me). So he told me to call the next day and that since they would need to build me a new converter he would need to talk to the boss about covering the cost of the re-install. So patiently enough I call the very next day on Jan 3. and after explaining my situation to Frank the third time he said that the entire shop was out sick with the Flu. At that point in time I felt like I was getting jerked around. So I said I wanted to talk to the boss which Frank replied that he is unavailable due to him being the only one in the shop and he is running around. Frank suggested that I send an e-mail to him explaining the situation and asking for reimbursement for the cost of the install and he would forward it to his boss. So, I agreed and did the they very same day on Jan. 3. So, the next day and still haven't seen or heard a response from Frank or his "boss" I decided to call at 12:37p.m. mine time (2:37 their time). Frank answered and said that his boss just got my e-mail 30 min prior to me calling and hadn't had time to review it. I thought that was strange since it was sent 24hrs prior. Frank said that as soon as he hears back from his boss he would let me know. I received an e-mail yesterday saying the the converter should be shipped out today (Jan. 6) and that they usually don't reimburse for install cost but since I had this issue immediately they would cover only $400 (half) of the cost to re-install the converter. I also asked when i could expect to receive the converter and if they are going to plan on over nighting it to me. Frank replied " Thant I don't know as of right now they are hoping the parts get in to actually build it as they were not as of today (Jan. 5). These converters are custom built to your vehicle specs not off the shelf so we don't always have every combination available parts wise. I will keep you posted on progress". I have a few issues with that statement....you're a transmission shop that builds transmissions and torque converters.....how smart is it to not have the parts available to make what you sell? Especially since you specialize in mainly GM transmissions and converters. Some people know I do gauge cluster repair and LED conversion on the side, do you think anyone has ever call me wanting and LED conversion or repair and I said I couldn't help you right now because I don't have the parts instock? No! And this is something I do on the side!! Unlike them where this is their business and the reason they get paid. And its not like a 2800 stall for a 4L60e is a uncommon converter. Well its the next day Jan 6. and still no word from Frank. I sent them an e-mail at 1:44pm my time (3:44pm their time) asking for an update and stating that the lack of communication, not holding themselves accountable and owning up to a mistake that was made is not acceptable and if this is not fixed and quick that my next request will be for a full refund, including the $800 for a re-install and I will buy a transmission from Finishline or a FLT Trans. I never like to threaten with legal action but have no problem getting them involved.

So now my truck has been down and undrivable for almost a month. I'm not saying anything about the quality of Performabuilt and weather it is good, bad or inbetween. I am just stating my experience with them and how they have handled themselves.

That's shitty bro, sorry to hear that. Im sure everyone would agree you deserve some compensation or full reimbursement from there lack of communication and professionalism. Good luck hope it all pans out!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear about this.

I will buy a transmission from Finishline or a FLT Trans

Not being a smart ass, but FLT is Finishline. Finish Line Transmissions

Hope you get it resolved and get your truck back on the road soon.

Sorry Steve, my dealings with them were great. My trans. and stall have held up great, still runs like day 1. You'll get everything squared away. Hopefully the enjoyment of the finished product will ease the frustration a little. Again, I'm sorry you had to go through this. If you need anything let me know.....

Not for nothing, but, combo trans/TC is usually a bad idea... You always want to pic the TC of YOUR choice and at the stall YOU want, this is where a quality TC company comes into play. I.E. P.I, TCS, circle D and so on.

:unsure::blush::cry2: uh oh

I just got my FLT in and installed and its wonderful. Customer service was pretty top notch too, I have a circle D stall for the record, I've heard their customer service isn't too great but their product is pretty awesome. Just my .02

Sorry to hear about this.

Not being a smart ass, but FLT is Finishline. Finish Line Transmissions

Hope you get it resolved and get your truck back on the road soon.

Now it make sense why I didn't find much when I search for FLT lol.

Sorry Steve, my dealings with them were great. My trans. and stall have held up great, still runs like day 1. You'll get everything squared away. Hopefully the enjoyment of the finished product will ease the frustration a little. Again, I'm sorry you had to go through this. If you need anything let me know.....

Don't be sorry. It's not your fault. I'm sure their products are great. Frank said this is the first time something like this has ever happened. Still doesn't give them the a reason though.

Not for nothing, but, combo trans/TC is usually a bad idea... You always want to pic the TC of YOUR choice and at the stall YOU want, this is where a quality TC company comes into play. I.E. P.I, TCS, circle D and so on.

I was able to pic the stall I wanted, they apparently build the torque converter to my exact truck specs. They just messed up and either didn't build it right or there is someone out there that ordered a 4k stall and got a 2800 stall. But it was the only way to get the 2 year warranty too.

why not just get a refund and hire zippy to build you a transmission?

Because ADS doesn't build transmissions. They recommend another trans builder. Plus Zippy has been extremely busy at ADS and hasn't had much time.

I just got my FLT in and installed and its wonderful. Customer service was pretty top notch too, I have a circle D stall for the record, I've heard their customer service isn't too great but their product is pretty awesome. Just my .02

I probably should have just went with them in the first place. I'm glad yours is working out for you though.

Well apparently the converter is "supposed" to ship out tomorrow. I will be sending Frank an e-mail in the morning asking if they will be overnighting it to me. I doubt they will but will give it a chance anyways. I'll keep everyone updated.

Well looks like the new converter finally shipped today!! The funny thing is that I requested multiple times that it be shipped overnight due to the extended period of time I had to wait .And just like the rest of their customer service they failed....the part will probably be here towards the end of the week.

Perfomabuilt customer service = Epic fail

That sucks what happened, but I am surprised to say the least. Whenever I had a question or some sort of concern, Frank always got back to me promptly, even on the weekends. My Level III has been going strong for roughly 3 years now. :fingersx:

That sucks sorry to hear. .....but FLT seems to gave a very good reputation . There are several members in my area that have there transmissions in their trucks and very happy them.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk