Passanger Door Cladding Help

diggerdan11

A couple months ago my passenger door cladding started peeling up. I took it to a body shop that I trust and they re-attached it. But before the stuck it back on they warned me that it might not stay since it was a little warped.

Well it started peeling up again. This time its lot worse. I have to get it fixed because I cant get into my passenger door.

Well the shop quoted me $575 just for the part from GM. GM parts direct says $357. And I can get it from SAE for $200. So Im going to go ahead with SAE.

My link

It looks like there is some kind of support that goes along with the cladding part.

The part from GM parts direct comes with a support, and the one from SAE does not.

I am just trying to figure out if I need a new support or if that is something that is attached to the vehicle already?

I just re-attached my pass. side door cladding last weekend.

the double sided tape at the top edge of the cladding let go and the cladding sprung out at the hinge end of the door binding when the door was opened. It crinkled the cladding so that it wouldn't lay flat on the door.

Two screws and 4 expanding buttons, (Reusable), (and the double sided tape), hold the cladding to the door.

I took the whole mess off, got a heat gun, carefully warmed the cladding and massaged it back into close to perfect shape, (It's still a little warped but it ain't a show truck anyway much as I wish it was).

The most time consuming part of the job is in cleaning off the original tape mastic. I used a 3M adhesive remover, and a spray product called MAX citrus power remover

I used 3M trim panel double sided tape bought at a local parts store that does a lot of body shop supplying.

Clean the door and cladding panel where the tape is going to go back with acetone.

Originally the cladding had one run of tape across the top of the cladding panel, (About 1/2 inch down from the top. I added a short piece of tape down the forward edge, (hinge side), thinking that that is the end that is going to get wind trying to pry it off the door.

Sorry for the novel. Hope this helps you out a little.

Edited by Downeast Johnny (see edit history)