Towing With My New Truck

dragpny

I just bought an 03 SS. I was just wondering what problems I may have with towing a 20 ft enclsed trailer with a 2900# car. Is there upgrades I should consider before I start? Or will it live long and happy with mild use? Are there a lot of weak links?

I tried the search but cam up short. Thanks

I towed a 20ft steel car trailer with a VW bug on it behind my truck for an hour and a half drive out and an hour and a half drive back and it worked great. Mines lowered 2" in the back and it still did great no problems with power, but it did bottom out a couple times over some bumps. Here's a pic post-18540-025936400 1326851742_thumb.jpg

Get an external brake controller for the trailers electric brakes ( the trailer has them doesn't it?) and pick up the brake controller wiring harness from the Dealer. The 2003 came with the trailering package already. you're good to go. I've trailered my race vehicle 3,800 miles round trip to Bonneville 4 times, not to mention the short trips (1000 Miles round trip) racing in North Carolina 5 times a year.

Push in the Tow/Haul buttion on the end of the transmission stalk, makes it easier to merge on the freeway after getting gas (again).

Max%20on%20trailer.jpg

Edited by LSR Mike (see edit history)

post-21515-047696900 1327511711_thumb.jpgpost-21515-020870300 1327511746_thumb.jpg

I towed a 30' travel trailer that weighed in at a whopping 8,300# loaded.

When set up correctly, my SS did ok pulling the trailer, weight distribution hitch, brake controller etc.

I just could not justify the cost of 8MPG and towing it long distances was out of the question.

Recommended tongue weight is 10% of the loaded trailer.

The SS already has a trans oil cooler.

Because of this, I traded my truck in for a 2500 Ram/Cummins.

Edited by timflury (see edit history)

I tow my 33 ft boat with mine but not terribly far other then when I bought it. Towed it 600 miles and weighed about 9000lbs. I added airbags and upgraded the brake lines from the factory rubber to SS braided. Both made a huge difference. Air bags help in keeping it level and I did not get "pushed" around as much. Plenty of power.

• 3 weeks later...

I used the Tow/Haul feature. On flat, open highway, the tranny would finally lock in at almost 75.

You should be just fine towing a car on a trailer. I would still use the Tow/Haul feature and leave it in Drive.

Let us know how much your fuel mileage average drops.

I towed a small 6x12' trailer with a garden tractor on it as well. My gas mileage would drop fron 16.5 to about 14.

And with LSR Mike, get a brake controller. That was probably the best investment in the whole package.

Even with the "Titanic" in tow, I could stop the entire rig just with the trailer brakes.