Engine Mod Help.

So here is the scoop, I am a college student and want to go fast. I bought an 04' SSS two summers ago and I have the urge to get this thing going fast.

My goal: alot of my buddies are into trying to race me, and quite frankly my 68 camaro isnt quick enough to beat them even at 450HP, and the .273 rear-end doesnt help. The fastest car im going to have to be up against is a 2010 Camaro SS witht the 6.2L

I have a K&N cold air on it already and I want to change the Cam and reluctantly will probably put a 2600 stall converter in it.

With that said, whats the easiest (and cheapest) way to get the power I want? I want the idle changed so the cam is a must. But with the cam, do I want to go to a 222/224 .566/.568 that requires a small stall most likely from what i've read, or do I want to take it a step down and stay away from a stall? I've never done any performance stuff on a fuel injected car or automatic transmissions, so I really am in the dark here. I assume I can swap intake, cam, manifolds for headers, and do computer tune to gain some good power.

Oh, I also have never done a cam swap on a motor that has been run. Do I need to change rods, springs, rockers, etc. or can I simply pull out the old one and slide in the new one. Do I need, or would it be recommended, to chnage heads or are the stock heads good enough to support cold air and upgraded fuel delivery?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to e-mail me as well at: [email protected]

Thanks!

even with a cam youre not going to touch that SS, you wanna smoke that youre going to be going into some serious engine building for NA, or probly the better option FI.

If you want (relatively) cheap power there are alot of procharger and magnacharger kits on here and Performancetrucks.net, otherwise dont be expecting to beat that SS with the mods your wanting to do

That cam, a 3200 stall converter and a 150 wet shot of nitrous will be the cheapest to your goals. Of course custom tuning will be necessary. Its not going to be cheap to have your truck hang with the 6.2 Camaro. You will need heads, intake, bigger cam, full exhaust, 3800-4200 converter and alot of boltons if you want to stay naturally aspirated and beat the Camaro...

even with a cam youre not going to touch that SS, you wanna smoke that youre going to be going into some serious engine building for NA, or probly the better option FI.

If you want (relatively) cheap power there are alot of procharger and magnacharger kits on here and Performancetrucks.net, otherwise dont be expecting to beat that SS with the mods your wanting to do

iamwithstupid.gif

the cheapest way to make quick power would be nitrous and you basic bolt-ons with a good tune.

In the long run i'd throw a maggie blower on it and get all the supporting mod's with a good tune and go rip some shit up. but it's not gonna be cheap. my turbo kit alone was $5800 and then probably another $1500-$2000 to get everything else up to par. you will need some trans upgrades.

Well, I cant afford forced induction, but I think maybe a top half upgrade and a nitrous system should be around $2,000 and be a good set-up. If I get nitrous, what system is the "best" and what do I need to have? Do I need to have the remote bottle opener, and bottle warmer, and all that stuff or do most kits come with everything I will need?