Here Goes Another Which Fi/Eng Combo Debate....

man that is pricy! even with selling your radix that will barley cover the pulley!

Yea, here are the 10 rib pulleys from Innovators west ----> IW 10 rib conversion kit

Keep in mind you still need the 10 rib Magnacharger pulley and the water pump as well... so add another say $250+ to the $1450. Don't forget the belt and new crank bolt!

I am sure you could shop around and find better deals but to get an estimate:

1450.00 + 250.00 + 50.00 = $$$

Edited by Krambo (see edit history)

Holy shit! Tell me about it! I forgot that little cost thing. Didn't realize those pullies cost that much........Started adding up all of the costs and now I'm back to square one. I will consider it, but the turbo option is back on the table. I can do it cheaper to be frank and will probably go faster to boot. Oh hell!

408 either way and power adder down the road.

T-6 split flange turbo with deticated scrolls for each bank, I think a set up like this would keep back pressure down...no belt :) a good gate to control the boost down to like 5psi and then let it rip to 10-12.

Kevin, didn't see your replies to the cost the first time around. The cost really changes things up.

Any thoughts on what a standard 2300 or maybe 1900 are capable of in the heat? Maybe overdrive the crank pulley and put a nice 10:1 408 underneath it......

Thanks Kevin. You know and bottom line, to run "a number" is nice and all, but it really comes down to enjoying driving it around. Since it is daily driven, it's hard to beat that torque that is there instantly when you call upon it!!!!

In this good air, I know the truck runs better then 12.20's and if it drove like this in the summer I think I would be pretty happy. So a 408 and bigger blower should fit the bill quite nicely ;-)

Any updates with your truck?

You've been over this many times. It's going to come down to preferrence. The converter for a Maggie with a 408 will be as tight or tighter than one for a turbo setup. Remember when you can make 10psi in less than a second you make huge torque and therefore need a loose converter. A stock 80E converter will flash to 3600 or so behind a maggie with a 408/427 making 12psi peak. The turbo needs a bit of stall to help in getting the turbo spooled. Go with a smaller turbo and you end up losing on the big end. The Maggie is huge cost, 7500 for the blower, 1500 for pullies, 1000 for spacer and 102mm throttle body inlet, 500 or so for 102mm throttle body, x-link for 200, etc, etc. As for the jackshaft, you order it with the jackshaft and cog drive rear right from Magnuson. It'll come ready to go custom ordered. This all btw is a one weekend bolt on and go. The turbo will be a month or more being built so be prepared. It will also end up costing about 7000 for the turbo system done even with help. They are not as cheap as they seem. It's the little stuff with them that adds up. The turbo will be a bit cheaper and a bit quicker at the track if you set it up as so. Both will require a bit fuel system, no savings there. For a problem free system it's going to be Magnacharger, for power and price it will be turbo.

You have that right. You bring up some valid points. In your experience, what do you think is the tightest stall you could run on a 408/427 with a TVS 2300 spun up like this and still get a decent launch (1.6's/1.7's)????? 2200-2300 possible????

When I had the trailblazer converter with my original setup, it was in that range (maybe a little higher on the flash) and the driveability/fuel economy was pretty good. This circle d is in the 2800 flash range now, but I don't like how it moves the truck around town. Under partial throttle (basic driving around town), it always wanted to stall up around 1800ish under fairly light throttle in city traffic. Sucks for gas mileage!!!!! Maybe part of the problem is the converter manufacturer and not the stall? I've heard of other manufacturers converters having different driving characteristics.......

I did price it out and it would appear that I'll be in the 9K range for the turbo setup. Probably 10ish for the blower. The time thing is a very real factor that I hadn't considered or given much thought. Putting it that way, that is yet one more thing that sways me back towards the blower. I think it will win out in the end. I'm going to move ahead with the 408/427 build first. That is a must as the motor is going south a slow death. I appreciate your help and any feedback with regards to a good combo would be greatly appreciated. Sounds like:

408 rebuild (4340 crank, h-beam rods with good bolts, good forged pistons in the 10:1 - 10.25:1 range)

TFS 235 cylinder heads

Mild cam (have no idea here, maybe something with mid .500-.600 lift and duration in the 235-245 range at .050......?) Want to set it up for the future blower.

1 7/8" stepped to 2" headers or maybe 1 3/4" stepped to 1 7/8" headers? Or just keep the 1 3/4" I have now? Or 1 7/8"???? Hell I don't know, but setup for future blower.

Already have dual 3" exhaust

I think that's about it. Since I already have a maggie, can I purchase just the head unit/manifold assembly or do I have to buy a complete kit?

Would a 418 combo be worth considering if I can find a decent deal on the core? Aluminum and other benefits? Just a few swap issues due to the reluctor differences....Might be worth while. Thoughts?

You've been over this many times. It's going to come down to preferrence. The converter for a Maggie with a 408 will be as tight or tighter than one for a turbo setup. Remember when you can make 10psi in less than a second you make huge torque and therefore need a loose converter. A stock 80E converter will flash to 3600 or so behind a maggie with a 408/427 making 12psi peak. The turbo needs a bit of stall to help in getting the turbo spooled. Go with a smaller turbo and you end up losing on the big end. The Maggie is huge cost, 7500 for the blower, 1500 for pullies, 1000 for spacer and 102mm throttle body inlet, 500 or so for 102mm throttle body, x-link for 200, etc, etc. As for the jackshaft, you order it with the jackshaft and cog drive rear right from Magnuson. It'll come ready to go custom ordered. This all btw is a one weekend bolt on and go. The turbo will be a month or more being built so be prepared. It will also end up costing about 7000 for the turbo system done even with help. They are not as cheap as they seem. It's the little stuff with them that adds up. The turbo will be a bit cheaper and a bit quicker at the track if you set it up as so. Both will require a bit fuel system, no savings there. For a problem free system it's going to be Magnacharger, for power and price it will be turbo.

Edited by slowfive0 (see edit history)