Ever heard of viton seal??

smithl3

:confused:

In trying to find out my oil consumption issue I called the outfit that I got the Positive seal rings from.... They stated that I needed to have installed positive VITON seals with chokers on both the intake and exhaust valves, because of the excess vacuum that the positive seal rings could have created. I contacted the guy who built my motor, and he said he put the stock valve seals back onto the motor, which are appearantly simple umbrella seals to prevent splashing from getting into the cylinders.

I asked if it would be possible to eat one quart of oil in 200 miles (which I am) He (the ring Technician) said that if I truely do have the umbrella seals instead of VITON seals that I could!!!!

Does that make sense. Could these rings seal that well that the excess vacuun just sucks the oil down the intake valve?? Just thinking outloud that's all.

Comments are welcome, I would love to get this figured out. Any recommendations on brands of VITON positive valve seals??

Thanks

I have heard of the Viton seals and you can get them in many places. Never heard of that problem though. Tried using a catch can to see if it may be going some where else, like the intake manifold?

Be sure and pull your pcv valve hose off and look for oil in it.

Make sure you have the valve tha has a small hole in it instead of the

"rattle" valve type pcv vavle...I have stopped a lot of oil consumption

in a lot of these motors by just using the new pcv valve..

Part No. 12572717

If you suspect valve seals, you might remove intake and check your intake valves

for deposits..

Mine started usuing oil recently also..

I'm sure it has NOTHING!! to do with .010+ piston wall clearance!! :rolleyes:

garage_gallery-194-1092853521.jpg

Thanks for the reply's guys, I am going to go ahead and get a set and at least try and see if it helps the oil consumptiuon issue. I really hope it does at least, for my sake..... Any news and I'll let you know. :chevy:

In the morning for some reason, I don't see hardly anything coming out of the exhaust pipes. But once it is warmed up and driven around town. Once I start it up to leave work, or I am running errans, it smokes on start up... We'll see

Ben,

Did you use positive seals when you got your heads done?? Whenever I get a exploded view of the heads it shows a top hat looking valve seal. Not sure if the springs hold it down, or if it just rests on the top of the guide.

Needing some help here on what type of seals to get. The manufactures assume the guide is machined to size for the seals to fit. Is there a unaversal fit that anyone knows about.

Looking at these Rubber and Teflon seals

:seeya:

Archived