Fuel Gauge Not Working?

JAB'Z

Whoa whoa whoa....before you go sending it off to Dr. whats his nuts, lets make sure it the gauge and not the sending unit inside the fuel tank.

What were the symptoms when it stopped working?

Has the needle ever gone way past "E" or "F"? Like pointing straight down or a place it obviously shouldn't be?

You can also PM me or send me an e-mail ([email protected]) or visit my website http://www.gmgaugeguy.com/ if you have any other questions. Plus I have a few other ideas to test if it is the gauge of the sending unit.

And just for anyone elses information. The fuel gauge and the oil pressure gauge are the two gauges that if they go bad there could be different issue and we can just assume its the gauge right off the bat. Sometimes its the gauge and sometimes it the sending unit, and sometimes it both.

Just trying to make sure peoples money is spent on fixing the right problem.

I wasn't recommending a service. Just what it might be.

I have issues with the oil pressure gauge myself after installing a new sending unit. Then winter hit and it was too cold to crawl under it to check the wiring.

Edited by gmJake (see edit history)

was there a recall for that problem?

To answer your question, yes there is a recall for faulty gauges motors. Every dealership is a little different about what the requirements are. Some will cover all the cost, while others will cover partial cost. The usual requirements are that the vehicle must have under 70k miles and be under 7 years old.

If it is the gauge and you can get it recalled for free then do it, that will be your cheapest option. Just be aware that they still use the same crappy motors they did back in 2003-2006 and will eventually fail again.

To answer your question, yes there is a recall for faulty gauges motors. Every dealership is a little different about what the requirements are. Some will cover all the cost, while others will cover partial cost. The usual requirements are that the vehicle must have under 70k miles and be under 7 years old.

If it is the gauge and you can get it recalled for free then do it, that will be your cheapest option. Just be aware that they still use the same crappy motors they did back in 2003-2006 and will eventually fail again.

actually it is past E..and the battey gauge dont work either...i just bought the truck..it has 85k..

Well then it sounds like you have the classic gauge issues as gmJake stated above. My recommendation is to replace all the motors, not just the ones that are bad. At least that's what I do with all my customers. If you don't replace them all, the ones that might work now will eventually go out.