What Kind Of Oil Weight Do You Use?

mando28

I have used 5-30 royal purple

My mechaninc said I should change it to 10-40 cuz its better that 5-30 is more of a break in to 10-40

Any thoughts?

What weight do you use? And how many miles does your truck have?

I'm at 95k and I'm thinking of switching from 5w-30 to 10w-40

Edited by mando28 (see edit history)

10-30w after supercharger due to longer cold starts. Takes 3 usually maybe 4 cranks to cold start up so having a thicker oil I was told was better for wear n tear reasons.

Yea I was told its was better for wear and tear and 5-30 is more of a break in oil

I have never had an issue with oil I just wanted to see what people use before changing it up(if I change it)

5/30 and 10/30 are the same weight oil. The only difference is the 5/30 will protect better in colder weather over the 10/30. ( theres only a 10 degree difference between the two oils) The 10/30 has the same rating as the 5/30 in warm weather. The weight is last set of numbers say 30... The number in front say 10 or 5 tells you what temperature it will protect till.

I use 5/30 all year fully synthetic.

5/30 and 10/30 are the same weight oil. The only difference is the 5/30 will protect better in colder weather over the 10/30. ( theres only a 10 degree difference between the two oils) The 10/30 has the same rating as the 5/30 in warm weather. The weight is last set of numbers say 30... The number in front say 10 or 5 tells you what temperature it will protect till.

I use 5/30 all year fully synthetic.

I don't think it's the running temp GM is worried about. It's more the cold starting. Your right they're both the same weight, at running temp. 30 to 30. But when they're cold they're two different weights 5w to 10w. If your in a warm climate where it's always above 0c 32F you'll probably be good with a 10w but when it's below 0c (northern states and all of Canada for sure). You will want to run a 5w. :thumbs:

I run AMSoil 5w-30