Flexplate Replacement Question

Well I cranked my truck and immediately noticed a grinding noise. Removed the inspection plate and saw the flexplate was cracked in half. I've read in the forums that the transfer case has to come off to allow enough room for torque converter replacement but shouldn't I be able to leave the transfer case bolted on if im only removing and replacing the flexplate only? I actually have everything unbolted including the 3 converter bolts now. Just having trouble separating the tranny from the engine . Any help or pointers?

Well for those of you that encounter the same thing it is possible I have the flex plate out in hand.

What are you replacing the broken one with? Aftermarket or GM?

I had a aftermarket and it would grind at start up. It wobbled too but later found out i had a bad TC.

I went with GM

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=160696454058

Im replacing it with part #12602448 which is supposed to be a original part. Im going to inspect the torque converter the best I can with a flashlight. The link where I bought it is above.

hum pic is def not the flex plate.

i dotn have time to wait for shipping so i got a GM one for a independent repair shop cost. think it was like $100

my performabuilt TC blew, twice.....

Your right the one I pulled out doesn't look like the one in the picture so I went to the dealer and they tried to sell me the exact same part as in the picture with the same part number....so I guess ill go with the one on ebay.