Basics Of The Truck

randyc0142

I am completely new to the SS. What exactly is the 6.0L engine. And where can I find the best book for info on it? Also the truck has 99k miles on it, what are the common problems with this truck that I ican work on first?

Go online and look up thee ss u can learn alot right there. Engine wise stock it's pretty strong. A good tune, cai, and exhaust can make it run alot better. Well the front diff is a little weak and the tranny is a little weak when you start adding power.

I am completely new to the SS. What exactly is the 6.0L engine. And where can I find the best book for info on it? Also the truck has 99k miles on it, what are the common problems with this truck that I ican work on first?

Hey Randy...... welcome to the site! The stock 6.0 in your truck is a LQ9, 364 displacement, heads are 317 cathedral port. Engines respond very well to bolt ons.... check out the build and bolt on section on the site.... lots of great info. The weakest part on the SS is the tranny, but you can buy a shift kit and larger tranny cooler for it and extend the life on it, as long as you don't throw a shit load of more power to it.

Hey Randy...... welcome to the site! The stock 6.0 in your truck is a LQ9, 364 displacement, heads are 317 cathedral port. Engines respond very well to bolt ons.... check out the build and bolt on section on the site.... lots of great info. The weakest part on the SS is the tranny, but you can buy a shift kit and larger tranny cooler for it and extend the life on it, as long as you don't throw a shit load of more power to it.

Great info, I will be reading alot on here probably not going too far with power, but I did run across a supercharger this morning on a 3.8 ford out of a superchicken. Can it be used on this engine, I guess I need to research the S/C but I can get it on the cheap.

Only thing I can add is the LQ9 requires 91 Octane fuel or higher due to the compression which is 10:0:1

I personally run 93 Octane all the time wether its Shell V-Power, Mobil or Sunoco gasoline. I believe you can use up to 94 but any higher Octane might burn the cats (I remember reading a thread awhile back on here about that, I could be wrong). :chevrolet:

I agree with what others have said. Small stuff does alot. For instance any time I get a new vehicle the first thing I do is replace the plugs, wires, air filter,oil and filter and fuel filter if you have one. 2003 does. 2004 and up does not, it is built into the fuel pump in the tank.

I would pick up some good spark plug wires, and NGK TR 55 plugs, those are the best for naturally aspirated or GM engines that dont have Nitrous, Turbos or supercharges. Gap them at 50 to 55 Thousanths. A cold air Kit will also help with throttle response and gas mileage a small amount. A good aftermarket muffler will help as well as reduce some weight as the stock one weighs a ton. Flowmaster is garbage and doesnt have HP gains that others like Magnaflow have, plus it gives a nice sound not alot of people have. Headers will help out alot but those get more expensive.

Otherwise there are tons of appearance mods you can do that are really cheap, and make small differences. For problems, I have had two of these trucks as my first one was totaled out a few months ago. The only things I ever had to do to my 04 was.....

Replace the oil cooler lines and one trans line from them starting to leak where the metal line and rubber hose is crimped. That is a normal wear issue.

Replace my battery after 8 years

Just routine maintenace like oil changes. Otherwise if you take care of them they will do the same for you. The motors are extremly strong and hold up well. I had 141,000 on my old one and it always treated me well.

Edited by Blown 346 (see edit history)

At 100K Randy according to GM's recommended service intervals you're due for a full maint. package:

Oil change/filter

Trans flush

Front/rear diff flush

Coolant flush

Transfer case flush

Power steer flush

Brake flush

Plugs and wires

Being an 04 having a returnless style fuel system the fuel filter isnt needed, it's an in-tank internal "sock" that's changed along with the fuel pump

Lube all Zerk fittings

Inspect brakes, hoses and cooling lines

New battery

Engine oil/filter choice will be up to you.

Trans= Dexron VI

Transfer case= Auto Trac II fluid

Diffs: synthetic 75/90w no additive needed, the diffs are not posi's and do not require a limited slip friction modifier additive

Coolant: Dex-Cool

Plugs: 41-110 is Ac Delco part #

Wires will be up to you, many run MSD, Taylor. I have seen no gains from those and run OEM Ac Delco's

Battery up to you, Optima isn't what it used to be, a new OEM Ac Delco here

Edited by Bad Ass Silvy (see edit history)

:withstupid:

AC Delco Battery lasted me over 10 years, I am debating wether I should get a Pro AC Delco or just the regular stock Delco battery next month.

Stock wires fit and are just as good if not better than the Taylor or MSD's imo. I keep hearing about the Taylors and MSD's having their issues.

Bad news yest., salesman informed me the truck i iwas waiting for him to get ready, for me to buy, was sold before I could get there to make a deal. So the search continues. I am in southwestern Virginia if anyone knows of an ss for sale within a reasonable distance please let me know.

Bad news yest., salesman informed me the truck i iwas waiting for him to get ready, for me to buy, was sold before I could get there to make a deal. So the search continues. I am in southwestern Virginia if anyone knows of an ss for sale within a reasonable distance please let me know.

That blows. Keep looking on ebay. I looked for 2 years.