Got My A$$ Handed To Me Today

poopnewton

So I raced some chick in a BMW 328i and basically she whooped my ass. It was pretty even through 1st gear, I thought I might even win but then I hit 2nd gear and game over she was gone.

The thing I noticed with my truck is it has no balls when it first shifts into 2nd gear and have a few questions about it.

1) is it the torque management

2) is it that my engine just likes more rpm that what it's at after shifting into 2nd.

3) how much would a tune help

4) to get a tune to help do I need to get a shift kit and better servos

The only thing done to my truck worth mentioning is a CAI. I know I could use some mods but even the way it is, it seems to fall flat more than it should with the gear shift.

Edited by poopnewton (see edit history)

Yeah a tune will help, but if your gonna be racing cars, you gotta remember you have truck, you have a fast truck against other trucks but not against cars. Get you a tune, and some mufflers an try that, if it ain't enough, turbo it.

So I raced some chick in a BMW 328i and basically she whooped my ass. It was pretty even through 1st gear, I thought I might even win but then I hit 2nd gear and game over she was gone.

The thing I noticed with my truck is it has no balls when it first shifts into 2nd gear and have a few questions about it.

1) is it the torque management

2) is it that my engine just likes more rpm that what it's at after shifting into 2nd.

3) how much would a tune help

4) to get a tune to help do I need to get a shift kit and better servos

The only thing done to my truck worth mentioning is a CAI. I know I could use some mods but even the way it is, it seems to fall flat more than it should with the gear shift.

if you want a tune contact zippy on here and he actually lives in pheonix also and could live tune it for you for way cheaper then blackbear and the tune would be better being that its a live tune.

I agree, a tune will wake the truck up and will actually allow the CAI to work effeciantly. No, you dont need to upgrade and servos etc for a tune. You can go buy a brand new vehicle and get a better tune than what GM programs and there will be a difference.

Cost for a tune all depends on what type of tune. mail order tunes in my opinion are ok as the tuner only goes off of what you tell them about the vehicle. A street tune with wideband will be right below a dyno tune. Either of those are great, but the price of a dyno tune can range from $250 to $500 depending on the shop.

Im gettting a wideband street tune done for $200 out by me for my truck. Just make sure who ever you choose if they arent really known or members here or others havent used them, that they know what they are doing. One wrong move with your computer and you can have a truck that needs a motor.

Edited by Blown 346 (see edit history)

black bear does live tunes. i actually got the handheld from him and sent him about 20 minutes of me driving. about 7 minutes of normal driving and 13 of me beating the sh!t out of my engine. it turned out well. and whenever i need a slight tweak, like tire size or anything like that, i change a minor part. i email him and he emails me a new tune

black bear does live tunes. i actually got the handheld from him and sent him about 20 minutes of me driving. about 7 minutes of normal driving and 13 of me beating the sh!t out of my engine. it turned out well. and whenever i need a slight tweak, like tire size or anything like that, i change a minor part. i email him and he emails me a new tune

it looks like you beat the shit out of your engine

if you want a tune contact zippy on here and he actually lives in pheonix also and could live tune it for you for way cheaper then blackbear and the tune would be better being that its a live tune.

exactly! if your right there in phoenix, lucky you. zippy will be able to get you a live tune quick an easy

Thats strange, my truck stays with my moms 330xi (take into consideration it is a 2005), however maybe it was the rwd that had alot more punch or the newer BMW engines with more ponies.... :confused:

If you get a performance tune the tuner is going to turn the line pressure up so that some of the torque management can be taken out. Later if you plan to do a shift kit & servos you will need to have the line pressure put back to stock settings, then you can have most or all TM taken out(I have 70% taken out with my shift kit.) I would suggest you read Mr. P's writeup its very informative on this subject. I just had mine shift kit put in and I wish that I would have done it earlier. My suggestion to you is first shift kit, then long tube headers and then your tune to pull it all together. Your truck will be so much quicker. Just getting rid of the stock lethargic shifts with 100% TM, will be a night and day difference. You will love it I now I do. Then long tube headers = more HP. Or you can do them one at a time and re-tune every time. Most mail order tuners do free re- tunes,you still need to pay shipping both ways. If your going that rout a spare PCM would be a good investment. You will also have to do a crank relearn (approx. 30 min.) every time you use the pcm that didn't come with your truck from the factory.(easy to do but time consuming, or have the spare re-flashed at dealership for your trucks vin #)

Don't feel bad, my BMW eats my SS alive. It's not even a race. Sort of like a child on a tricycle vs a Formula 1 car. Unfortunately, our trucks are slow as piss.Bolt ons and tune helps, but don't think it will make a huge difference. It will still be slow. FI,Spray, or built motor are your real options for being "fast", and beating modern day street cars that come from the factory with 300hp

You also have to remember these trucks arent light when they weigh in at over 5000 LBS. A normal average car is normally about 3,200 or so. Figure for every 100LBS of weight is added you lose 1 tenth of a second. All that weight adds up fast.

I wouldn't have thought I would win that race anyway. I didn't even plan on racing the BMW. I was just being a jackass, getting on it because there was a Ferrari stuck behind me but when I saw the BMW go for it I figured why not. I know my truck is fairly quick compared to most trucks but not so much compared to cars. Hell my girlfriends Ford Edge started to catch up to me for a second or two after shifting into second gear when we raced. The thing I wasn't sure about was how much torque management they used on these trucks. I had 98 Trans Am several years back and remember that thing shifted like crap too. That car still had a real throttle cable though and the torque management seemed to act a little different than this truck. On my T/A it almost seem like I hit a rev limiter when it shifted. On this truck it kind of feels to me like the computer doesn't always open the throttle body fully at times when I got the damn thing floored. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

In addition I hate that speed where your not going too fast for 1st gear but your already in second and it won't downshift. Would a tune help allow downshifts where it won't let me downshift now.

Anyway I think some tranny upgrades and tune would probably be the next step for my truck. Not sure when I'll get around to it though.

This is really getting me curious, maybe I have a tune and dont know it from the original owner.....my truck just hunts down the 330xi in 3rd gear, obviously the bmw gets the jump but 3rd is a dayum beast in my truck feels like its going to grenade through my hood.

Ive also had to slow down when I saw a fellow member who had flowmasters, tune, and shift kit when we both floorred our SS' on an on-ramp to an Interstate so I didnt rear end him...I will find out soon enough though Im going for a dynapack tune this summer or fall and my mechanic was on here so he can probably tell if Im stock tune or not.

Could you tell what year 328ia it was? Like brand new, newer, or 5 years old?