Need Some Help With My 03 Silverado Ss Please

biggun824

what is the correct size of the rear drive shaft in an 03 silverado ss ?. my trucks to low and its about to bust the shaft from hitting the top of the crossjoint of the frame sucks so time to order one up but every part store askes which one do you want and theres like 4 different sizes so i was just trying to figure it out

post-22517-078993400 1334136555_thumb.jpg

Edited by biggun824 (see edit history)

what is the correct size of the rear drive shaft in an 03 silverado ss ?. my trucks to low and its about to bust the shaft from hitting the top of the crossjoint of the frame sucks so time to order one up but every part store askes which one do you want and theres like 4 different sizes so i was just trying to figure it out

yeah thats normal, c-notch the cross member lol, how low are you? I'm at a 3/4 an no problem when you do a 4/5 is when you have to notch the cross member

yeah thats normal, c-notch the cross member lol, how low are you? I'm at a 3/4 an no problem when you do a 4/5 is when you have to notch the cross member

o i c yeah ill have to do that i did 5 in the rear so yeah needs it then huh

yeah you don't need a a new driveshaft, an idk why GM put those 4in aluminum hollow driveshafts in... unless you think you need a new one? id drive it until it breaks

right on man so its 4 inches thick, daily it scrapes deep tho if i step on it or hit a bump and i was all sketched out not to drive it till i get a new one i should be okay huh ?

right on man so its 4 inches thick, daily it scrapes deep tho if i step on it or hit a bump and i was all sketched out not to drive it till i get a new one i should be okay huh ?

yes it needs to be done, IMO drive it until it breaks, i know those driveshafts cost a pretty penny a few years back idk about now

yes it needs to be done, IMO drive it until it breaks, i know those driveshafts cost a pretty penny a few years back idk about now

This has to be the worst possible advise EVER. You do not want the driveshaft to break on you at any speed. If it snaps at freeway speeds, it can cause all kinds of damage to the underside of the truck including the gas tank, exhaust, and evap system. Not worth the risk IMHO.

yeah you don't need a a new driveshaft, an idk why GM put those 4in aluminum hollow driveshafts in... unless you think you need a new one? id drive it until it breaks

WTF!

Seriously?

The driveshaft isn't very thick. If I remember correctly they are .125 thick (1/8") and they are 5"dia.

By the looks of it you are almost half way through the material. REPLACE IT! I had a shaft come apart in my old drag Malibu, and tore my tail housing and yoke out with it. And that was at the 100' mark.

To say you should drive it until it breaks, like stated is the worst idea. Unless you want to possibly kill someone. I remember reading back when someone's drive shaft did snap and wasnt at high speeds, it almost took people walking by out and would have killed them.

This is one fix you dont ignore.