STS Turbo Questions...

Any cold weather guys running an STS Turbo? I live in MI and I am a bit concerned about the salt and snow.

As most 6.0Ls have two into one exhaust does the kit come with some sort of a Y-pipe? Pics would be nice if avalable. I checked the STS website and they all seemed to be single exhaust.

What are the boost levels of the GT35, GT-70 and GT-67 units? Are there any boost level offerings in-between?

Thanks,

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The kit comes with a short y-pipe. You keep the exhaust up to the muffler, then attach the y-pipe and the turbo.

The GT67 is a good sized turbo for the stock displacement SSS. GT70 is a little too big, but is probably a perfect match for big cube displacements. GT35 seems to be a good match for the 5.3, but according to F8L Z71, was running out of wind up top. I believe he switched to the GT67 as well.

Detroit spped works has an under the hood, up front turbo, on the LQ9 esclade, might want to give them a call, I'll post any info they send me back. I too am worried about the STS and water/snow. It seems to be better to have a local or at least not cross country, help.

if one was inclined to build his own system, any idea what compressor and exhaust turbines are being used in each application?

and i would suspect removing the cams wouldn't have the same dramatic effect that it has on conventional turbo'd cars because in this application, the turbo is after the cat, meaning the cats are under pressure.

It wouldn't be too hard to remotely locate the air filter to keep it out of the water. Just some extra tubing and maybe a lil creativity :)

Like Erik stated above, I really liked the driveability and the almost instant power of the GT35 but I was running out of steam on the big end. Now when I saw big end I mean above 6,000rpm. If you don't plan on changing out the cam then it might be ok. On the bigger cubed SSS I'd say stick with the GT67 with the .81 housing.

I am currently using a GT67 with the .96 housing and I have so much friggin lag that I don't even feel like I have a turbo till about 3 seconds after nailing it. I seriously can punch it from a dead stop now, get no wheelspin, and be through the intersection before any real boost comes into effect. :sleep: Dave at STS is sending my the .81 housing to swap in and we all think this will do the trick and be the perfect medium between the GT35 and the setup I have now. :)

Detroit spped works has an under the hood, up front turbo, on the LQ9 esclade, might want to give them a call, I'll post any info they send me back.  I too am worried about the STS and water/snow.  It seems to be better to have a local or at least not cross country, help.

Thanks Detjoe. I'm still on the fence. More so on the STS side. Although I have yet to see the SUV and Truck mounting, the Lingenfelter gang normally mounts there trubos down low on there vettes and they're out of Decatur, IN.

Plus it has a 1 year warranty and I can take it off in an hour if there are any problems.

Cmotorsports.com builds a kit also. It's used on this beast... http://www.neufamily.org/fastesttruck.wmv

I spoke to Jonathon and apparently our midwest dealer is out of Grand Rapids... www.neverenuf.com

It wouldn't be too hard to remotely locate the air filter to keep it out of the water. Just some extra tubing and maybe a lil creativity :)

Like Erik stated above, I really liked the driveability and the almost instant power of the GT35 but I was running out of steam on the big end. Now when I saw big end I mean above 6,000rpm. If you don't plan on changing out the cam then it might be ok. On the bigger cubed SSS I'd say stick with the GT67 with the .81 housing.

I am currently using a GT67 with the .96 housing and I have so much friggin lag that I don't even feel like I have a turbo till about 3 seconds after nailing it. I seriously can punch it from a dead stop now, get no wheelspin, and be through the intersection before any real boost comes into effect. :sleep: Dave at STS is sending my the .81 housing to swap in and we all think this will do the trick and be the perfect medium between the GT35 and the setup I have now. :)

F8L Z71,

Let us know how the GT67 with the .81 housing works out for you. Also, keep us posted on the intercooler retro-fit. I sent you an e-mail on that. As STS sells the remote mount ducting (w/minimal boost loss) as there intercooler, I am curious to see your before and after boost levels. Plus that custom ducting and intercooler placement appears to be a challenge.

TurbochargedBerserker,

What kind of cam are you running?

Also, can you confirm that you are running the GT67 with the .81 housing.

Thanks Guys,

I looed through my email and saw it got mixed in with the 50 auto replies I get form LS1Tech threads. :oops:

I'll be installing the new stuff on Thursday and hopefully will get it all finished. I'll definately let you guys know the before and after results :)

I am currently using a GT67 with the .96 housing and I have so much friggin lag that I don't even feel like I have a turbo till about 3 seconds after nailing it. I seriously can punch it from a dead stop now, get no wheelspin, and be through the intersection before any real boost comes into effect.  :sleep:    Dave at STS is sending my the .81 housing to swap in and we all think this will do the trick and be the perfect medium between the GT35 and the setup I have now. :)

F8L Z71,

Let us know how the GT67 with the .81 housing works out for you. Also, keep us posted on the intercooler retro-fit. I sent you an e-mail on that. As STS sells the remote mount ducting (w/minimal boost loss) as there intercooler, I am curious to see your before and after boost levels. Plus that custom ducting and intercooler placement appears to be a challenge.

TurbochargedBerserker,

What kind of cam are you running?

Also, can you confirm that you are running the GT67 with the .81 housing.

Thanks Guys,

I am running the stock cam, rockers, and springs. There isn't a big incentive to change unless you are in there doing something anyway. If I were not planning on doing heads or bottom end work, I'd probably leave in the stock cam and move to a bigger ratio rocker arm. If you do add a cam, smaller is better for a turbo, and you'd want an lsa of 114-117 or so. Stiffer springs are definitely beneficial as they help to combat blow back from the exhaust manifolds.

My GT67 has the .96 housing.

I looed through my email and saw it got mixed in with the 50 auto replies I get form LS1Tech threads. :oops:

I'll be installing the new stuff on Thursday and hopefully will get it all finished. I'll definately let you guys know the before and after results :)

You know how we like Pictures...

Thanks,

Archived