STS Turbo Questions...

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It wouldn't be too hard to remotely locate the air filter to keep it out of the water. Just some extra tubing and maybe a lil creativity :)

Like Erik stated above, I really liked the driveability and the almost instant power of the GT35 but I was running out of steam on the big end. Now when I saw big end I mean above 6,000rpm. If you don't plan on changing out the cam then it might be ok. On the bigger cubed SSS I'd say stick with the GT67 with the .81 housing.  

I am currently using a GT67 with the .96 housing and I have so much friggin lag that I don't even feel like I have a turbo till about 3 seconds after nailing it. I seriously can punch it from a dead stop now, get no wheelspin, and be through the intersection before any real boost comes into effect.  :sleep:     Dave at STS is sending my the .81 housing to swap in and we all think this will do the trick and be the perfect medium between the GT35 and the setup I have now. :)

F8L Z71,

Let us know how the GT67 with the .81 housing works out for you. Also, keep us posted on the intercooler retro-fit. I sent you an e-mail on that. As STS sells the remote mount ducting (w/minimal boost loss) as there intercooler, I am curious to see your before and after boost levels. Plus that custom ducting and intercooler placement appears to be a challenge.

TurbochargedBerserker,

What kind of cam are you running?

Also, can you confirm that you are running the GT67 with the .81 housing.

Thanks Guys,

I am running the stock cam, rockers, and springs. There isn't a big incentive to change unless you are in there doing something anyway. If I were not planning on doing heads or bottom end work, I'd probably leave in the stock cam and move to a bigger ratio rocker arm. If you do add a cam, smaller is better for a turbo, and you'd want an lsa of 114-117 or so. Stiffer springs are definitely beneficial as they help to combat blow back from the exhaust manifolds.

My GT67 has the .96 housing.

TurbochargedBerserker,

Are you getting the turbo Lag that F8L Z71 mentions above w/your .96 housing?

Anyone,

What influences would a smaller housing have on bigger Vortecs and said engines w/cams and headwork?

The bigger housing has more volume right??? Is it just taking longer to make boost at lower rpms?

does anyone know what the turbine specs on the STS gt35 are?

It's a 61mm turbine .68mm exhaust. The only problem is that the .68mm exhaust housing flows similar to a .81mm T-rim housing according to Rick at STS. So essentially you can't compare a GT series .68mm to a T series .68mm I guess.

TurbochargedBerserker,

Are you getting the turbo Lag that F8L Z71 mentions above w/your .96 housing?

Anyone,

What influences would a smaller housing have on bigger Vortecs and said engines w/cams and headwork?

The bigger housing has more volume right??? Is it just taking longer to make boost at lower rpms?

I had no lag until I removed the cats. Full boost (7psi) at 3000 rpm. I was too excited the times I tested 10psi to see when it hit, but felt like right away as well.

Smaller housings = lower flow limits and faster spool up. I think with the 6.0, the GT35 would be too small.

There is no reason that removing the cats should hurt the turbo spool up except for the current exhaust leaks. All they are is a restriction before the turbo which should increase lag, and decrease power. I will be very interested to see how it turns our after the leaks are fixed, and he turbobeserker gets the bugs worked out.

Aaron

Detroit spped works has an under the hood, up front turbo, on the LQ9 esclade, might want to give them a call, I'll post any info they send me back. I too am worried about the STS and water/snow. It seems to be better to have a local or at least not cross country, help.

Any Word back from Detroit Speedworks/Livernois Motorsports?

I haven't received a response either.

Thanks,

Detroit spped works has an under the hood, up front turbo, on the LQ9 esclade, might want to give them a call, I'll post any info they send me back.  I too am worried about the STS and water/snow.  It seems to be better to have a local or at least not cross country, help.

Thanks,

yea...7k :confused:

they were nice sounding, invited me to check out the truck...but 7 grand is too rich for my blood. Sh#t $5000 and I am ordering a C6 :chevy:

I just fell into the sts side of the fence.

F8L Z71 is getting somw awsome numbers and with IC wow!!

STS has updated their web page an SSS, looks cool.

I cant wait till that spare 4k comes home so I can adopt my sts turbo :jester:

STS kit and an FMIC rocks. You can easily run just that for a long time. But when you really wanna turn up the wick I suggest new injectors and a fuel pump which will tack on another $600 or so. But it is an easy upgrade that can be snuck in when the wife isn't lookin ;)

Detroit spped works has an under the hood, up front turbo, on the LQ9 esclade, might want to give them a call, I'll post any info they send me back.  I too am worried about the STS and water/snow.  It seems to be better to have a local or at least not cross country, help.

Thanks,

yea...7k :confused:

they were nice sounding, invited me to check out the truck...but 7 grand is too rich for my blood. Sh#t $5000 and I am ordering a C6 :chevy:

I just fell into the sts side of the fence.

F8L Z71 is getting somw awsome numbers and with IC wow!!

STS has updated their web page an SSS, looks cool.

I cant wait till that spare 4k comes home so I can adopt my sts turbo :jester:

7 grand!!! Without Fuel Upgrades too.

That doesn't make any sense. Their Twin Turbo F-body kits are $7995. The single Turbo kits are $4995.

That is the worst thing I've ever heard... Well, at least top five.

STS it is.

We'll have to meet that Escalade at Milan one day with our IC STS kits.

STS kit and an FMIC rocks. You can easily run just that for a long time. But when you really wanna turn up the wick I suggest new injectors and a fuel pump which will tack on another $600 or so. But it is an easy upgrade that can be snuck in when the wife isn't lookin ;)

and the adjustable boost controller :D

and the adjustable boost controller :D

I always forget to add that because I bought mine as part of the kit. I already knew I was going to go crazy. LOL

Archived