What oil are you running in your high milage (150k +) SS

In my last SS i ran mobile one synthetic with mobile one filter religiously, it also only has 38k miles on it when I bought it and 78k on it when I sold it. The "new" SS i bought has 201k miles on it, would you guys still recommend 5w30 mobile one synthetic or something a little thicker like 20w50?

Do you want a cookie....

Haha nice.

On the subject of your oil, I don't see why you shouldn't run the regular weight but maybe someone with higher mileage experience will chime in. how does she run for being at 200k?

I know some oil companies make oil for higher mileage motors, I think valvoline is one.We need ti hear from the guy that has over 300k on his truck.

I was always taught that oil is the lifeblood if your engine, change it frequently and you should be good.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

I agree. I dont see where you chould have to change weights. Maybe a quart of Lucas oil treatment in place of one of your quarts? A lot of people around here use it. We sell a ton of it. I run it in my S10, which currently has 189K.

Haha nice.

On the subject of your oil, I don't see why you shouldn't run the regular weight but maybe someone with higher mileage experience will chime in. how does she run for being at 200k?

She runs just as good as the last 03 I had that I bought with 35k and sold at 78k, just want to keep her that way and have never had anything with this high of miles. I wouldn't normally buy anything like this but I got it for a steal and it had all the paperwork and was a one owner that was meticulous. I only drive within a 30 mile radius of my house(work and towing the boat to the lake) so if it does break down, I'm not out much and it's time for upgrades. :D

Im running Royal Purple I have 130K on her now I noticed It ran better as soon as I made the switch. Only problem is it is pretty expensive. But It smeels good too haha

Just added it up and it's the same price for Royal Purple 5w30 and filter from summitracing.com as buying Mobile one synthetic and filter from Autozone.

I did notice that Mobile one has a high mileage full synthetic 5w30 that's for over 75k miles. Doesn't really elaborate on what makes it better than regular mobile one full synthetic.

I would also say run 5w 30 as well. I ran mobli 1 for a few years until i tried amsoil. Ill never run anything other than that now. I can put 2000 miles on this oil before it starts to turn any color. Mobil turn black after 1500.

Mobile 1 here with 151k on it. When I bought it the owner said he used only M1 and when I did my cam swap at 138k the inside of the valve covers, upper valvetrain and everything that would normally have some discoloration on it looked brand new. I also switched to Royal Purple at the time of my cam swap and about 1k later I pulled the valve covers to put a painted set on and to check my springs the inside of the valve covers already had tarnish on it.

I will advise that you not ever use a Fram filter especially the "hi-mileage" kind. Keep running the 5w-30 synthetic and a good quality filter (M1, K&N etc)

Mobile 1 here with 151k on it. When I bought it the owner said he used only M1 and when I did my cam swap at 138k the inside of the valve covers, upper valvetrain and everything that would normally have some discoloration on it looked brand new. I also switched to Royal Purple at the time of my cam swap and about 1k later I pulled the valve covers to put a painted set on and to check my springs the inside of the valve covers already had tarnish on it.

I will advise that you not ever use a Fram filter especially the "hi-mileage" kind. Keep running the 5w-30 synthetic and a good quality filter (M1, K&N etc)

Always done the full Mobile One with Mobile 1 filter. Thanks for all your input guys!

For your higher mileage engine...does it "use" a little more oil than it used to or does it burn a little out the pipes? If you find yourself topping off the oil inbetween changes, you may wish to check your oil pressure. If it is a bit lower than when new, your bearings could be wearing to the point where a heavier oil may be in order (10W30). I often switch to a heavier oil around 100k in my beater cars.