Need some help!

KyleODaniel

Well just this past week everytime I turn my truck for a left turn I have noticed a clunking noise, I'm not sure what it is? I have looked and from what I can tell everythings normal, I need some help.

Could be a tie rod starting to go out. Grab the outer and inner tie rod and pull out and in, if the rod moves the tierods are bad and that will cause clunking when turning or going over certain bumps. If you replace say the outer tie rod, do the inner at the same time. If the outer is bad it will only put more stress on the inner and it will be right behind the inner. Dont go cheap, buy a good quality brand like Moog.

• 4 weeks later...

I did the "shaft stroke" a couple different times over the last two years and it was a temporary fix, but would come back after around 15000 miles. Yesterday I just went and replaced my steering shaft in my 03 with a Dorman (OE Solutions) 425-176 Steering Shaft I got on ebay for $54.89 shipped. Day and night difference even when compared to "shaft stroke" quick fix. No more clunk, steering feels tight, and no more slight highway vibrations! I just put new tires on a couple weeks ago and it feels like a new truck after doing the shaft replace too. The old shaft was so loose that when I turned it upside down it would quickly slide to full extension. The new one has to be pulled to slide. Problem solved. :driving:

Edited by team3and8 (see edit history)