what crank can I use lq4 or lq9

I need a crank for my SS but im not sure what one i can use. Its a 03 LQ9 with stock rods, .030 over flat top Wiseco aluminum pistons. Ive heard the bob weight of the lq9 is more then the lq4 and with the new lighter pistons i had my stock crank balanced but if i get a Lq4 crank will it have enough bob weight tobe balanced.

• 2 weeks later...

LQ4 & LQ9 are the same cranks. The LQ4 had the dished pistons and the LQ9 had the flat tops for a bit more compression. You can use either crank and alot of times they dont need to be balanced, but personally with an aftermarket piston I would have it checked and rebalanced if needed.

The LQ9 rods and LQ4 rods are different. LQ9s are beefier and require heavier weights to balance out. If you want to go stock crank, I'd go LQ4 because it's weights aren't as heavy (I presume your pistons are lighter too) the less material would have to be taken off the weights of a LQ4 crank to balance out the rotating assembly.

Depends on what you're doing with it I guess but I'd get a better crank while you're there and it's all open.

LS cranks can take a beating. If your on a budget put the money in the heads