Manual Climate control swap?

I'm looking at buying an 03 SS that has the dual slider climate control, not the digital one that I thought was standard, is this a bad sign?

I understand if it's missing a radio as people put in aftermarket ones all the time (who knows why, I never would!) but to downgrade from the digital one, really? The truck is in another state so I can't necessarily check it out now. Would a regular control panel plug in and work properly? I will definitely swap it back but I'm hoping it's just plug and play.

Perhaps it's just a BCM thing and the non-digital panel just sends the bare minimum to get things working, the dealer said the AC works fine and that's how he got it.

Everything else is legit from what I can tell and the autocheck came back fine.

VIN:

2GCEK19N931304893

Not a bad sign, some of the SS's came with the Non digital climate control. Its totally normal bud. Why GM decided to do that, to save the customers 150 dollars i guess.... kinda lame, but is what it is

Yeah I'm pretty sure someone didn't downgrade. It was one of the less optioned trucks is all. No, it will not work properly to just plug in a digital control. You'll need the sensors in the truck and the bcm to be set up for it. there was a thread about it a while back of you search. It was telling how in depth of a process it is.

Edited by 1BAD2K (see edit history)

One advantage of not having the digital c/c is that if one of the lights burns out, its stupid how much it costs to fix. A light went out on mine and I thought it would be a simple swap in a light, but no, need to get a whole new unit. PITA.

Good point. When my truck was under warranty a light went out on it. Took it in and after the fix, the service manager told me " I just threw in a whole new unit for ya". I knew what that meant lol.

Good point. When my truck was under warranty a light went out on it. Took it in and after the fix, the service manager told me " I just threw in a whole new unit for ya". I knew what that meant lol.

1Bad2K, I tried to PM you this question but said you couldnt recieve anymore messages.Did the service manager mention how much the unit would have costed? And any idea on how long the fix was? Just curious about how much it will cost, I know its not cheap as my mechanic who owns an 04 SS truck and worked for a GM dealership said its not worth the money until more lights go out, as Im not under warranty.Its just so annoying that everything else is pristine, except this one light.

1Bad2K, I tried to PM you this question but said you couldnt recieve anymore messages.Did the service manager mention how much the unit would have costed? And any idea on how long the fix was? Just curious about how much it will cost, I know its not cheap as my mechanic who owns an 04 SS truck and worked for a GM dealership said its not worth the money until more lights go out, as Im not under warranty.Its just so annoying that everything else is pristine, except this one light.

Sorry man, pm box now cleared! CHP is right as far as the simple bulb swap. I did some that went out on my steering wheel radio controls. Do a search and that should give you a part number for some bulbs at radio shack that match very well or you could do like others and go to led. As far as the actual unit, I have no idea what the cost was but I have seen them on eBay for $125 or less brand new. That would be plug and play since you already have it. Just pull off the dash bezel, a cpl screws and unplug the unit and reinstall the new. It's not complicated at all once you get in there. I know what you mean though, having one of those small bulbs out is pretty frustrating lol.