Installed new brake pads, binding in the rear???

Big Tim

I needed to adjust the parking brake and the rear pads were a little thin, so I decided to do a complete brake job. Front pads went in fine, and everything seemed fine in the rear to the point I tried to drive test them in my driveway. When I pumped the brakes to re-engage the pistons, the rear pads wouldn't disengage. I have pulled them apart 3 times, the piston compresses just fine. I think the parking brake is ok, but am about to try the factory pads again to see if maybe the parking brake is too tight. I don't see what the problem is other than that.

Update:

Swapped back to factory pads, but not sure which side was which (of the truck, not piston/other side) Now only 1 side is dragging once the brakes are pumped. passenger side is still dragging.

Oh, also, this is on my DD 03 silverado v6 with single pot rear calipers, if that changes anything

Edited by TXblueSS (see edit history)

by slides, do you mean the long, greased bolts? No, the single-pots only have 2 bolts. the fronts had that.

or did you mean the metal backing plates? I used new plates.

I believe my problem is 2 sticking calipers, funny as that sounds. The truck had 135k miles and ALL of the original brakes. The pads could have made it a little longer, but that sounds about right from what I hear. I didn't really notice before, but the piston seems to bind up a bit when pushing it back past about 3/4 of the way on one side, and a little more on the other. I tried to drive it a bit(a mile or so) and see if it would break free, and they did, but at odd times. I think I'm going to try new calipers whenever I can afford to. I'm tapped for now.

The 2 greased bolts are pins, lol, and those almost always get reused. By slides, I mean the 2 thin metal clips that the pads sit on, they are supposed to be greased. Try lubing the caliper pistons with some WD40 and pump the brakes to try and free them up. That may temporarily correct the situation, but it sounds like new calipers may be in your future......

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)

I have seen this happen. Sure don't know if it's your problem, but you could check it out.

As your pads wear, the part of the piston that pushes the pad into the rotor can get cruddy ware it doesn't retract into the caliper. when you put new pads on, you have to push that cruddy part back into the caliper in order to get the pads far enough apart to clear the disc. The crud can cause the pistons to stick in the caliper and keep pressure on the disc.

Good luck. :cheers: