heads and intake research

The more i do reaserch on heads cams and intakes for my lq9 the more i get confused so i was hoping u guys could clear things up. First of some good heads for the lq9 would be the l92/ls3 ( which seems to be the same) and 243's found in ls2 and ls6 and i also found some 317s stage 2.5 that are ported with bigger valve size from texas speed am i correct so far? Which one do u guys think is the better i like the l92 but i wanted to try the fast lsxrt intake and i dont think they fit the l92 heads so what would be a good combination? To go with the 317's or 243's and get cam and lsxrt or get l92/ls3 and stick with ls3 intake thanks for any info.

• 2 weeks later...

depends what your goals are, what you use your truck for, and also what your willing to spend. FAST does make an LSXR intake for the LS3 which would work with the heads you are talking about. If money permits my plans are l92's heavily ported and an lsxr ported with some sort of custom cam and stall. But there are lots of things to take into consideration with mods like these. Lots of combos will work well in your truck. Theres doing it right with research and proper previous planning, and then theres throwing parts at it.

• 1 month later...

well my over all goal for the truck is just to have a fast street truck i dont think ima take it to the track very often and im only going to be cruizing it on weekends so not to worried about mpg or anything like that i just want it fast lol. my setup that i was thinking of is going with a custom cam with 2.5 stage 317's and getting an lsxrt, tsp headers with x pipe and some magnaflow mufflers, a shift kit, corvette servos, 4.10 gears, a 3000 stall or depends on the cam specs, and a volant intake. but thats my goal of a setup so im still far from it but hey you have to have a plan right. does it sound good at all, what you guys think

• 2 weeks later...

well your cam will depend on how radical and the purpose of your ride. Who-ever specs you one will take all that into consideration. Your converter will depend on you cam, driving style, tire size, and gear ratio. The lsxrt is a great intake manifold but dont pick your heads because you want a specific intake. The l92's/ls3 are great heads stock and even better ported. They will also raise your compression ratio as the stage 2.5 317's will not. Unless you have them milled. If you plan on boost down the road go with the 317's. If you want a great head that has room to grow and make good power go ls3. The lsxr intake will work with the ls3 heads and can work on our trucks. The lsxrt will work with the 317's and is a direct bolt-on. With what you will be spending already id go ls3 with an lsxr intake or even a victor jr. all your other mods sound good. You should start with your bolt ons and go from there.

well your cam will depend on how radical and the purpose of your ride. Who-ever specs you one will take all that into consideration. Your converter will depend on you cam, driving style, tire size, and gear ratio. The lsxrt is a great intake manifold but dont pick your heads because you want a specific intake. The l92's/ls3 are great heads stock and even better ported. They will also raise your compression ratio as the stage 2.5 317's will not. Unless you have them milled. If you plan on boost down the road go with the 317's. If you want a great head that has room to grow and make good power go ls3. The lsxr intake will work with the ls3 heads and can work on our trucks. The lsxrt will work with the 317's and is a direct bolt-on. With what you will be spending already id go ls3 with an lsxr intake or even a victor jr. all your other mods sound good. You should start with your bolt ons and go from there.

I would go the other way. I would stick with the cathedral port heads, ls6 or lq9 or 5.3 heads if the motor build was right. For a NA motor i would target 11.3 or higher scr and around 9.0 DCR if i can.

If the money was there i would run a 225 to a 235 trick flow head to make the most out of a NA build. With higher compression i think the 235 is the way to go.

I would not look at any head under 225cc for our motors. Most ported stock castings are around this or slightly higher, but make sure to ask. The ported heads i always recommend are done by TEA. The tests done, the results on this site, and my personal results lead me to believe in them above others. Stage 2.5 317 heads are around 227 runners from what they told me.

The LSXR intake is not bolt on for our trucks. you have to deal with the water pump and relocate the idler pulley, and shim the fuel rail depending on injectors. I'd have to look through old posts to see if the stock fuel rail even fits, but given this is an 05 truck its less important then a 03.

I rarely recommend a victor intake. The short runners kill the torque and raise the power band/shift points and cause a need for a higher stall converter. Not to mention the heat soak of the AL intake. I can let my truck sit for 2 hours in the pits and the runners can still be to hot for what i like to run at. Granted it will make higher HP on the dyno, but most guys just will not benefit from it. With the victor you also increase the cost with adding a fabricated elbow, aftermarket fuel rails, and custom fuel supply lines with AN fittings.

As was said the cam needs to picked off goals of ET, power band, shift points and use of truck. Once you know what you want you can pick a cam that fits, check your compression ratio and adjust, pick your converter based off use of truck and cam.

Edited by shadowsniper3006 (see edit history)

might want to re-read.... i said it can work. I didnt say it was a direct bolt on. Also, its still hard to recommend anything as everyone has different tastes and will want to use different parts. He really needs to get in touch with someone who does head work and let them recommend a h/c/i combo that will work for what he wants to pay.

no need to re-read, i read your post just fine. I was making a statement about wants needed so he doesn't buy it and then finds out.

if he asks about parts that work, its not hard to recommend them if you have experience with them and he gives the feedback you need. If he wants to blaze a new trail because of his tastes in parts, guys like zippy will step in to clear things up. But a lot of guys on here have tried a lot of different combos and can share the results they got from it so he knows what to expect.

Edited by shadowsniper3006 (see edit history)