Bigger valves... Worth it?

MID12sSSS

take a look at these

http://www.totalengineairflow.com/products-page/products/cnc-ported-cylinder-heads/gm1/ls1ls21/gm-ls2ls6-stage-2/

granted TEA says this is just for the porting and does not include new cores, but look at the flow numbers. Granted the valve is .020 larger on the tea heads but the bore test size is also .01 smaller. You can also order the tea heads with a nitrous exhaust port and i would ask about that for your SC'd motor. Call them up and ask what the cost would be for a stage 2 or 2.5 if you send them your 317 heads. Also ask about the nitrous exhaust port and if there is a price break if you don't need the .650 lift springs just a set of .600 lift springs. If your talking to Zippy i would ask him if he would deck the heads to 68cc or so.

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/topic/28915-tea-stage-25-60l-heads/page__hl__heads

here is a link to the heads i ran for a while so you can see flow number on 68cc ported 317 head

That would have been a pretty good gig, but my 317s were trashed when my motor threw a rod... Haha. So I'm really just trying to find a nice set of heads that will really help out my setup for under 2,000 bucks.

how about the best set of heads you can buy for right around 2000? My buddy is a selling a set of trick flow 225 heads with 65 cc chambers and inconel exhaust valves(for boost) for about that price(i know its about there, but don't quote me). The heads were for a na 364 motor with a 408 tvs motor in the future, now he is getting a ls7. He has not listed them for sale yet, but i know they are.

I bought the heads, for him, new from TEA. They are listed for $2400 new not including the inconel exhaust valves. My 225 trick flows with custom intake valves cost $2621 and we had a 10% discount for buying two sets at once so really these heads would cost over $2800 or close to with the valve springs we had.

Let me know if you would consider this

Okay. Well I can clean them up and drop in some new valve seals and ls6 springs. I checked out some of the flow numbers from the trick flow 225. Haha look pretty frickin solid. Only, going from a 72cc to a 65cc, makes my compression go from 10.06:1 to 10.91:1 Won't this cause problems with forced induction? 11:1 is pretty high..

Edited by MID12sSSS (see edit history)

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/compstaticcalc.html

you said your building a forged motor, what pistons are in it? There are no true flat top pistons in the aftermarket world for our trucks(that i know of), i think the best i have seen is -4cc valve relief.

Is it still a zero deck height?

with -4 pistons(entered as 4 in the calc) i get 9.72 with a 71cc head, with a 65cc head i get 10.38.

If you really are going into the 10.87 range i would talk to zippy, but unless it has a possitive deck height, i don't think you are

I have -2cc diamond flat tops with valve reliefs, .040 cometic gaskets, and the 65cc chambers. I could always go to a thicker gasket. I'd just have to call TSP and let them know before they finish balancing my rotting assembly and ship my order. Deck height is all stock.

i was just talking about the heads, but he does have CTS-v lifters, push rods for a .051 gasket i think, a set of yella terra rollers, a cam and a LSXRt 102 intake for sale as well. I think OBX headers to.

The trick flow heads have a thicker deck so yes you will need longer push rods, but i found on my motor, with a thinner gasket and the lifter preload i wanted and my cams base circle(all gets figured in) the stock 7.4 worked for exhaust and i think i used 7.375 for the intake. But you should really check it with an adjustable push rod before you even by a set.

Yeah. Hmm... I can definitely make the heads work. Ill just have to change to a thicker gasket, longer pushrods, and an aftermarket roller rocker set. Thanks for all the help.