Stiff ride

Warden

I bought my stock 03 SS 1 1/2 years ago.It seemed to ride ok,even though it was stiffer then my 2WD Silverado.The SS has about 120K on it.Even though I have never owned a 4WD truck before the ride in my SS seems a little jittery in the back.Almost too stiff.I changed the rear shocks which were stock and they were not leaking.I just used a cheap NAPA replacement.There was no difference.When I was under the truck there was only a fingers width between the factory rubber stops and the frame.I still havn't done a test to see if the rubber stops are bottoming out when I'm in the truck.My truck drives tight and has not been used as a work truck.Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

My truck rides the same. There a little stiff in the back. I dripped mine in the back with shackles and put on some belltec shocks and it's better but still stiff.

• 2 weeks later...

"Warden", since you didn't buy this SSS brand new in 2003, it's had 1-2 owners in between.

It really sounds like your truck has been lowered in some way shape or form, if your "unloaded" bed has less than 3/4" of clearance between the rear bump-stops & the rear axle.

You might crawl under there again & see if you can't remove the small bracket (2 bolts) that the bump-stop bolts to (1-bolt).

There is already a hole in the frame to rebolt the bump-stop directly to the frame on these trucks. Just remove this small bracket & your truck will gain 1.5" more clearance. Drive the truck after doing this small mod to each side, & see if you like it better.

Then report back to us if this helped fix your ride concern... :thumbs:

Edited by Bad Bowtie (see edit history)