Helllloooo ss family! Doing stuff need some opinions!

Lilysslr

Ok so I am a happy owner of a completely stock 2003 ss and id love to do some stuff this sucker is quiet as heck stock and that's so not me I need loud..

So what id like to do is ...

Kn intake

exhaust... which is Fricking killing me as to which set up to get and what size piping ...right now im thinking magnaflow, mbrp, and possibly borla depending on if I can find a deal.

Also thinking of possibly getting a programmer or chip

What is the efan people talk about? What does it do and what's the benefit of it?

Bottom line id like to do minimal things to the truck but I wanna do things that will give me gains in both hp/tq and mpg. I know there's I search but the info on here is pretty scattered, I was hoping a few experts could give me some solid insight

Thanks!

Travis

Well u don't want a chip for one. Tune is the way to go. Exhaust?? Headers no cats spintech or magnaflow 2 1/2 dual exhaust should be plenty loud. Well be the best bang for the $

Ok so I am a happy owner of a completely stock 2003 ss and id love to do some stuff this sucker is quiet as heck stock and that's so not me I need loud..

So what id like to do is ...

Kn intake

exhaust... which is Fricking killing me as to which set up to get and what size piping ...right now im thinking magnaflow, mbrp, and possibly borla depending on if I can find a deal.

Also thinking of possibly getting a programmer or chip

What is the efan people talk about? What does it do and what's the benefit of it?

K&N, volant or aem are all decent cold air intakes

Exhaust, most popluar here is Corsa and for budget minded guys magnaflow. Stock piping size is fine for 80% of guys here, most restrictive parts of the exhaust are the manifolds, cats and muffler.

Programmer and chip are forbidden words here. Get a custom tune, Wheatley, zippy, Blackbear, etc (search)

Efans are electric fans if you have an 05+ then you already have them, if you chose to install them on a truck that doesn't have them you remove the clutch fan that is powered by the engine get a wiring harness for the efans and install them behind the radiator. They free up some HP cause the engine doesn't have to spin the clutch fan any more

So are you saying I should keep stock piping and just get a muffler and header? What's the census o u gutting cats? Will I still get solid gains without changing the piping?

You have dual exhaust all the way to the muffler. You can get gains by leaving the stock exhaust. Headers a good muffler and a tune work real well together. You can gut the cats but if your gonna do that you IMO should get high flows and put them on. And like the aSSet said e fans will free up some ponies too.

More gains with headers and less restrictive muffler and no or high flow cats. At this point a custom tune is a necessity. Do your mods first then get a tune to seal the deal.

x2

I used zippy he's on here. There are a couple more on here as well. Contact them tell them what you have done and they will tell you what to do from there. I've had my tune in since 07 and it has been flawless. Do your mods first then get your tune. I've been very happy with mine.

I dont get your guys reasoning for spending 2k in mods, then getting a tune? :wink: Retunes are free. For 250 dollars, the tune gives you the best bang for your buck. The only thing listed here that would require a retune would be the headers and Efans, when he even gets to that point. The CAI, and your exhaust, theres nothing they can do really tune wise, to up your performance, and this is from Wheatley himself, because i was just in the situation.

If your plannning on buying this all at once, then sure, get it all on, then get tuned. If your doing this as you go and as you can afford, i highly recommend getting a tune first, cause for the money vs gains, it cant be beat. I went this route, and couldnt be happier.

Just my 2.cents

The reason I say this is because he wants a louder exhaust a cai, and was talking about getting a programmer or chip. So yr right headers muffler cai don't need a tune. He also said e fans. So to bring all this together I told zippy my modds and h sent me a tune. He could go tune first but if he got fans then have to do a retune.

My reasoning on it is that if you don't have a tuner close or one that is easy to get ahold of then you'll be sitting waiting for a new pcm or driving without a retune for sometime after you got your new mod done. Cai and exhaust pretty much go hand in hand and yes you can tune for those, air gets in easier and gets out easier allowing you to compensate for that with the tune otherwise there would be no point in doing the mods if they didn't benefit, but its not essential to get a tune for those I agree. I would do cai, exhaust(cat-back) then get a tune. Then go headers/no cats and some other mods and get a retune then. That way you're only doing it twice and not after every mod.

I have true dual exhaust systems including mufflers it is a flowmaster system, then I have Dougs headers, remote controll cutouts for times when I really want to make some noise. I have a Volant cold air induction system, a ported throttle body and 1:8 to1 full roller tip rocker arms with beehive valve springs and just as a precautionary measure .100 wall thickness 3/8" pushrods then an hp dyno tuneup for what equates to 425 flywheel horsepower. The rev limiter is raised to 6,500 rpm's and shift points are at 6,200 rpm. This is all done for me to run in a production pickup landspeed races. I am also going to dragrace some later this fall.

Garrell

The above question before the post sumitted by itself was how uch will short tube headers help me? When I open the cutots it should give me the full effect of the headers don't you think?

Garrell