Verizon Wireless - Smartphone Data Packages - BS Changes

Hey All ...

Has anyone seen that fact that Verizon Wireless (VZW) has now done away with their Unlimited Data packages? ... If you Stream Music (Slacker Radio/Pandora) or Videos (YouTube) ... listen up ... Becareful when you upgrade.

VZW now wants you to buy their "Share" Plans. So, your Smartphones and Tablets all run off of one data plan. That way they can charge you the same price for only 2gb of data. Seeing that your devices are sharing, they are hopping that you 'll go over your Data limit, and then they can charge you way more money, for more data

That being said ... I was going to use another phone's upgrade, and use it for myself, to get the new Galaxy S III that is coming out this month. But since it was after the June 28, 2012 deadline, and changes to my plan will void out the Unlimited Data, and I'll have to sign a new contract. Therefore having to pick one of their new Data Plans. ... The only "Unless" out there, is if I was to purchase a new phone at Retail price. That would be $600.00 for a new smartphone. Then I can keep my unlimited data plan. This is the same for all of you who got 4gb for the 2gb price. (I got my plan the first day the original Droid by Motorola came out.)

VZW is truly pissing me off lately ... First, no more one (1) year contracts. This forces you into a two year plan which isn't a problem, the problems is that the phones suck and die after a year. I don't know anyone, who's phone (especially smartphones) hasn't given them problems once you hit the one year mark. Now you'll loose your Data Plan if you are not careful.

Edited by Stitches040 (see edit history)

Thanks for the heads up. I am seriously about to switch to att because all the bs with Verizon lately. I've had 7 smart phones now in the last 4 months and an 8th that'll be here Tuesday and have yet to get a phone that actually works lol. I usually go thru anywhere from 2-6 gbs a month. I am still unlimited plan and got the contract when the og Droid came out also. This is all bs anymore. I'm so sick of Verizon and all there $hiy lately.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Yep, it sucks. There are places where you can buy new phones for way less than retail. Just buy from there and bring to VZW to activate. I hope my phone lasts for a long time as I often blow away 5G worth of data within the first week of the billing cycle!

AT&T here. Can't really complain I'm on it 90% of the time when I'm on the site. Kinda expensive but then I have my I phone and both my kids phone with unlimited talk and text.

I have Verizon also and thankfully was grandfathered in when I got my Bionic, I just hope in the future they dont try to screw me.

I also hate that Verizon would give you a gift card for for you resigning with them so I just went to Best Buy and they took the money off the price of the phone.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, you can get phones almost anywhere, but I do want the latest version of phones though. I just love the android platform.

I'm thinking of going with Walmart Straight Talk, but I live in the mountains, and Verizon has the best coverage by far ... So I'm kinda stuck

My D4 hasnt been that great..I spent 2 hrs on phone yesterday trying to trouble shoot it..I have 4g LTE and lose internet connection every where in town..and when i do have it everything is so slow...I dunno if its phone or Verizon network

lol slacker radio and youtube are the small things for me. I watch anywhere between 5-10 movies a week on my phone with my netflix app. and i also run pandora at the gym. verizon isnt gonna sell phones for shit with that bs. im just gonna buy my phones used or from a pawn shop or something. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Wow, that's crazy expensive. Between just an iphone and a mifi we use 20 gb. As if the new upgrade fee wasn't enough... At this point it'd be cheaper to go pay as you go. On the other hand, I use a treo 650 and it doesn't even have 3g, just text and talk for me. http://blogs.wsj.com...red-data-plans/

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/splash/shareEverythingCalculator.jsp According to this calculator our bill would go from 200 with surcharges and whatnot to 260 for their 10 gb share plan not including surcharges, and then we'd have to add some more data at a cost of 10 bucks per 2gb.

Edited by No SS (see edit history)