Transmission flush cause of failed transmission on high mileage trucks

Sneakystiffler21

So I was reading about some experiences with higher mileage transmissions on the Bass Fishing Forum I frequent and was kinda shocked about this thread. My SS has 203k on it and from the service records I've got the transmissions last service was at 135k. Any one got any info or evidence of a transmission flush in a higher mileage truck causing the transmission to fail?

http://www.bbcboards.net/bbc-lounge/277835-really-interesting-tranny-advice-truck-kind.html

It is possible. Overtime, heat will cause a "varnish" like coating on the metal hard parts from the fluid heating up and cooling down. This is due to the friction modifiers in the fluid breaking down over time. When you flush a higher mileage trans you take the chance of breaking up the so called varnish which plugs oil passeges. Therfore when an oil passege plugs you starv clutches.

Will it happen? Hard to say. Its almost like Sea Foam. A lot of guys use it, but there is that select few that it does more bad than good such as foiling out spark plugs.

Best thing I would do is drop the pan, replace the filter and fill with new fluid. Sure you wont have all new fluid as some will stil be in the internals and converter. But you see my point

Hope that helps

Edited by 2BFAST (see edit history)

Transmission flushing is one of those things. half the people say its dangerous, the other half say its perfectly Safe.

I had it done on my Tahoe a couple months ago, and I have 145k. If me tranny blows in a couple more months you will know, if it last another 50k miles or more then its probalby safe. LOL

Im going to just drop the pan and replace the filter on my SS. Im at 85k miles and I think it should be done.

I say it's pretty safe. It's transmissions that are on their last leg and that the dirty fluid is all that's keeping them from slipping that have problems afterwards. If the fluid is black, leave it. However, I believe in a pan drop and refill over flushes anyday.

It is possible. Overtime, heat will cause a "varnish" like coating on the metal hard parts from the fluid heating up and cooling down. This is due to the friction modifiers in the fluid breaking down over time. When you flush a higher mileage trans you take the chance of breaking up the so called varnish which plugs oil passeges. Therfore when an oil passege plugs you starv clutches.

Will it happen? Hard to say. Its almost like Sea Foam. A lot of guys use it, but there is that select few that it does more bad than good such as foiling out spark plugs.

Best thing I would do is drop the pan, replace the filter and fill with new fluid. Sure you wont have all new fluid as some will stil be in the internals and converter. But you see my point

Hope that helps

Very well said!

Thanks for the info guys, I check my fluid regularly and its not burning any and its still the nice red color and doesn't smell burnt. I do tow a camper (ultraite 5500lbs loaded) and a bass boat (2500-3000lbs) with it and just want to keep it alive as long as possible, I know 200k on a stock tranny in these trucks is alot and I expect to have to put a new one in it in the next couple of years.

Being a fleet manager for around 10 years at my previous job, I have seen it go both ways. I have seen transmissions fail within 1000 miles of a flush, and I have seen slipping transmissions brought back to life and last another 30-50k with a flush......