Mods to support a supercharger

This winter im going to be adding either a radix sc or a procharger. Not sure which one. But I am sure there are some parts that would help produce more power and add some reliability. Any suggestions. I am already planning on long tube headers, dual exhaust cam and a custom tune. Other than that not sure what else might help.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

depending on the size pulley you run you may need bigger injectors. and the big one is the trans. at minimal you should put a shift kit /servo in it. youl need different spark plugs also i run NGK TR6's

depending on the size pulley you run you may need bigger injectors. and the big one is the trans. at minimal you should put a shift kit /servo in it. youl need different spark plugs also i run NGK TR6's

For some reasons I thought if I bought a complete kit it would come with injectors. But I think what I've read I would probably want 60lb injectors and I have been planning on buying a built 4l65. And I did read that tonight about running a cooler plug. What ever kit I go with I think I should do the meth injection also. What do you think?

You might want to concider the meth injection mainly because of the crappy fuel we have in Alaska. You can only buy 90 octane at the pump and the meth is a great bump to your octane. I have been fighting detonation with mine since I got it. I run pure meth but it only turns on with my boost controller at high boost levels.

Edited by Aksss (see edit history)

I agree, Meth will not only boost HP but it will also help save you ass in the long run.. With the 3 Procharger kits I have purchased not one has come with Injectors. The reason for this is everyone has a differnt combo, boost levels etc. Injectors are normally seperate. I have never seen them come with the the Prochargers, other kits could be differnt...

For a normal SC kit I the most common sized injector would be the 42LBers. This also depends on what else is done to the motor and hopw much boost you will be running. For Instance. My camaro has every bolt on possible, minus cylinder heads, 12LBS of boost and Im running 42LB injectors with no problem. My Vette has everything from the heads down, 12LBs of boost and 1 step larger Procharger and I needed 60LB injectors or the car would run lean at idle. Your engine combo and boost levels will helo determine what sized injectors you will want and need. The best way to find this out is to talk to a tuner about what you want to do so you only have to buy injectors once, and still have room to grow if you add more power.

Sounds like your off to a good start. Cylinder heads would be a great choice as well. Not only for added HP but they can also give you the oportunity to lower your compression. Once you boost a vehicle the compression of that engine will rise. Any boosted engine does not like high compression. EX My cars came with 10:5.1 compression from the factory. I added the blower and the compression went up 1 point to 11:5.1. If heads arent an option now since they can get expensive and depending on your budget, atleast plan for them at some point. It will help reduce stress on the motor in the long run.

A larger Intake manifold, Throttle body will also help. Anytime you allow a engine to breath and you say leave the stock manifold, heads on a car it will restrict it. You want the air coming in to be going out just as fast. Thats what makes power. The nice thing about Blowers is that they reduce the stress on the motor trying to work for the air as the air is being forced into the engine. that is until you give it hell.lol Another good option that I would not look over would be to add some ARP Rod Bolts, that will help make the rods that much stronger especially under boost, as well as pinning your crack so your crank pulley wont slip on the crank. Another must have is going to be a oil Catch can, the larger the lines you use the better. Our stock PCV systems are small, with any forced induction you will see higher crank case pressures. You want those pressures to be released. A catch can will do this for you and also catch any oil vapor that comes into the catch with the crank case pressure when its being released from the engine.

I would do as much as possible and with the budget you have set aside. I am not an engine builder, but I have done several boosted cars and the information I gave was from first hand experience and what My builder has told me when I first started doing this. Also talk to a couple Engine builders, They will helo you make the right choices for the power you want, and will allow it all to work efficiently.

Thanks man. That was definitly a lot of good info. I was debating on heads. And I read on here about pinning the crank I wasn't sure what that meant and why people said to do it. And I have already had problems with Chevy pcvs not working correctly. Two years ago my z71 shot almost all it's oil through the dip stick tube. But again thanks for all the great info.

For some reasons I thought if I bought a complete kit it would come with injectors. But I think what I've read I would probably want 60lb injectors and I have been planning on buying a built 4l65. And I did read that tonight about running a cooler plug. What ever kit I go with I think I should do the meth injection also. What do you think?

magnachargers come with injectors but if you pulley down enough you will need bigger ones. crank pinning is a big thing also you should do it.

what are you trying to build here? if your going for a fun street truck theres no need for heads.. you can get 11s with stock heads and a good cam/tune with a pullied down blower

Everything depends on your budget. You might think about where you wanna be with your truck. I have had my turbo on my truck up here for almost 5 years now. I have almost 50k in the motor also with the turbo. My truck runs very comfortable low 12's. I still want more. But my budget was 10k. And I went over that with my tranny(s). I think blowers sound awesome and they are definitely a lot less headache some time, but my turbo sounds pretty intimidating when it spools up too. And my setup was a pain when I got started and now I never mess with it.

It is all in what you want. We should hook up. I can show you what I got. And other ideas I have gotten from zippy and some tuners.

My budget is around 7-8k. And pretty much just want something that is much funner to drive. I hate getting walked on by stock srt8 jeeps. And yeah that's what I was thinking was that the magma kits come with injectors. And I am free next weekend to get together. I'm definitly interested in getting different oppinions.