california AB 2289

Badkarma

Just had my first sniffer test done and thought I would ask the guys who know whats what in regards to tunes. How deep will the new testing dig into a trucks PCM under california law AB 2289. I want to know what im in for the next time C.A.R.B. bends me over. Im sure this has been floating around the net for a while, I just havent been very active lately.

http://www.smogtips.com/new-smog-law-AB-2289.cfm

Even if smog shops could read the tune, there is no way they would understand what they saw unless they where trained. that would be to costly. As Aaron said, all they look for is the Check engine light; does it operate properly and is ther any codes set, and 2. the rediness test. Have the all passed. In Ca. and most places you will pass if ONLY one test is pending. Two or more and its an automatic fail.

I forger where I read it, but I rememeber seeing somwhere there there is a data base for 2005+ vehicles they have an OEM supplied database of calibration ID/CVN values (CVN is like a CRC/checksum) and that they will be reading the ID/CVN values from the ECM and comparing these to the database. that is basically what I gathered from reading this over that the camaro forum http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122635&page=2

Granted, I really havnt done much to much truck aside from have the rear O2's deleted from the tune, but if they do have the factory tune on file as refrence its gonna be a PITA. Living in california all my life, I have learned to expsect the worst.