torque converter

hey guys im sorry if this is a stupid question but i was wondering if you can put a torque converter, stall of 3000, with out a cam. For me the 3000 sounds like quite a bit of a stall but i later want a decent aggressive cam to go with it. the reason i am asking this is because im thinking of installing a shit kit from http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TRG-4L60E-HD2/ and im trying to find a good servo to go with it, so if you guys could i would appreciate if you guys tell me where you got yours, anyways i was thinking of taking the transmission off so it can be easier for me since i dont really mess with transmissions and since its out already i figured i would put in the TC already. What do you guys think and if there are any other minor modifications i can do to it while its out let me know thanks. By the way my truck is complete stock except for a CAI and my goals for the truck is just to have a fast street truck that i can take to the track every now and then its not my daily driver just maybe some weekends.

You can do it but i don't know if i would recommend a stall that high.

Why not?

To be honest, a 3k stall really isnt that high. And if that is all he plans on doing I really think he would enjoy it. It will honestly feel like stock for the most part until he puts his foot into it. Dan (Fireman31) has a 3k stall and loves it. I had a 3400 when I was N/A and it was fun.The thing is with these heavy trucks, you have to get them in the power band to get them moving and a stalled converter is it. Everyone wants to bolt on engine power adders for more of a seat of the pants get up and go. But its amazing what a stalled converter will do even with a factory engine.

An I6 TB converter is a good bang for the buck as it has a slightly higher stall speed. But again, its still not getting it in the sweet spot to really get these heavy trucks moving right now.

As for your shift kit question, see the link below

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/topic/67343-shift-kit-w-servo-how-to-write-up/

a 3000 converter is TAME. Its a very good place to start if your looking to cam your truck but not go crazy about racing it. I ran a 2800 on a 224 cam and stock intake for some time and it worked good for what it was. Left the stop light better then most other guys on the street. I also ran a 3800 on the street for sometime, needs a big trans cooler but still very streetable....and fun. Now i run a 4500 and still doable but you just have to get used to it.

I've just had bad luck with converters in the past then. All the ones i have had have been to loose and seriously made me hate driving my truck. I am hoping I have better luck with the one I got from PI.

Unfortunatly you have had bad luck with alot of things here lately. My 3600 is def different to drive but so awesome when you lay into it and watching a 5500lb+ truck get sideways. It also helps with 13lbs of boost to. But either way, when I was N/A cam only my 3400 made it a completly different truck. Everyone shys away from it because the trans is involved. If you have someone that knows what they are doing its really not any a big deal to swap converters. Then to tighen up the shifts with simple valve body mods while you are there such as a shift kit you will be smiling ear to ear. AND it will give you 3 times more seat of the pants feel than swapping a camshaft.

Keep in mind, when installing a modified camshaft, you need to match the power band of the cam to the converter stall speed to get the RPMs in that sweet spot of the new cam. Usually the more radical the cam, the higher stall speed is needed. Per say.

My converter is with Chris right now as well. I backed the converter bolts out and did some damage to the front cover, but other then that(which is not a converter problem) i have not been able to break his converter....and I've been trying. Also, about the best customer service i have ever had, A+.

I've also used a PI converter and hated it. I sent it in 3 times to have them try to hit a 3-3200 stall and 27-2800 is all i got. Not saying it didn't last, but its a lot of work pulling a trans and i got sick of it for no results.

I also had a 3800 TCS converter(the one from Canada not the states) and that thing was violent. Pulled 3 60 foot times in the 1.6's with it, the best being a 1.633. I bought it from Chase who also had his best 60 foot with it(not sure anymore with his new build). BUT, the problem was he blew it up and sent it back to be rebuilt and I bought it rebuilt/new and never used and sent it back to have the stall raised and then i blew it up maybe a year or 2 later.

Yeah I've talked to him and sounds like a really good guy. Said it should be ready wensday. I gave him cam specs and he said 3k would be pretty good for what doing with it. Heard all good about it and from you too. Can't wait.

Why not?

To be honest, a 3k stall really isnt that high. And if that is all he plans on doing I really think he would enjoy it. It will honestly feel like stock for the most part until he puts his foot into it. Dan (Fireman31) has a 3k stall and loves it. I had a 3400 when I was N/A and it was fun.The thing is with these heavy trucks, you have to get them in the power band to get them moving and a stalled converter is it. Everyone wants to bolt on engine power adders for more of a seat of the pants get up and go. But its amazing what a stalled converter will do even with a factory engine.

An I6 TB converter is a good bang for the buck as it has a slightly higher stall speed. But again, its still not getting it in the sweet spot to really get these heavy trucks moving right now.

As for your shift kit question, see the link below

http://www.silverado...ow-to-write-up/

hey thanks i just checked out that write up and it looks great i feel a little lost without pictures but i can prolly understand it more when i have the transmission in front of me, i think ima go with everything you got in it plus a 3000 stall do you guys know of any good brands for the stall

hey thanks i just checked out that write up and it looks great i feel a little lost without pictures but i can prolly understand it more when i have the transmission in front of me, i think ima go with everything you got in it plus a 3000 stall do you guys know of any good brands for the stall

If you are mechanicaly inclined, organized, patient, and not afraid to stop and ask questions if you are unsure on something you can install a shift kit. You can also install a torque converter as well.

One of the biggest mistakes I see when guys are installing converters is they dont get the snout on the output of the housing to line up with the inside of the pump in the transmission. Or they get rammy and slam the converter inside the trans breaking the pump drive gear.

Ill def be around if you have any questions a long the way