Email alert from Summit

I believe that you are likely correct about the auto manufacturers building to higher than 10% etahnol. (Hence the bill targeting 2001 and newer vehicles. Hopefully they have done their homework and stock vehicles from this period won't be damaged by the new fuel.) I don't know that I would count on that homework having been done, however. I have a number of friends with modern "E-Tec" OMC outboards who have been told by factory trained tech's the it is ethanol that is eating their fuel lines and plastic parts in the fuel injection system of these motors. The lesson there is "Don't leave ethanol gas in your outboard for extended lengths of time". (Over winter, for instance.)

Sumitt's concern seems to be with their own, and others, aftermarket parts.

As to the government saying "Yes sir" to special interest factory farm lobbies; I'll leave that alone, but I don't like it. I certainly agree with you that divorcing ourselves from foreign oil suppliers is a very worthy cause, but there are possibilities to pursue other than burning food for fuel.

I've noticed your poster stating that your running E85, and wondered where you get it? I had never even heard of it before seeing it listed in your post's.

Interesting point about the ethanol being less prone to knock. Is there pretty good benefit to E10, or do you need a higher percentage to notice real gain's?

Thanks for your thought's.

John

you would have to see if your state has any pumps. they come in pumps just like gasoline but they are usually yellow. i have two stations that offer it around here. as far as gains you probably wont see any from that low of a mixture e10-15 and besides that you really only see real gains if your boosted because of the timing you can add because of it not knocking.

There are gas pumps just like reg that have e85. Closest one to me is 30 miles away but I guess if its local then no prob. My understanding is that more ethanol let's you run higher boost and timing advance and blah blah. All this is from the running colder part Idaho said.

I didn't want to post earlier for fear of looking like a dumbass but I thought more ethanol in fuel would be better for the performance industry.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

i was thinking the same thing about it being better for performance since it is alcohol after all. i know there are other guys that run e85 and even more that know about it so you shouldnt feel like a dumbass more people need to come out that know about it and educate people about it.

the big thing i don't like about E-10 is the loss of MPG 1.5-1.7 in my case, and still paying over $4.00 per gal. E-15 will be worse. all the traveling here in CA. i do, i have not seen a E-85 pump yet. maybe the EPA hippies know something that we'll don't know about E-85... :dunno:

http://blogs.hotrod.com/court%E2%80%99s-ethanol-decision-jeopardizes-historic-vehicles-specialty-parts-32159.html

Edited by desrtrat (see edit history)