71 chevelle ss454

kissfans03ss

Guys I could use a little advise please, I am currently looking at this chevelle which was mildy set up for drag racing.The owner says the suspension and motor were modified but to what extent she does not know as they purchased the car that way.

I am looking for as close to a factory original car as possible and this would require a little work, first should I pass on this and what do you think I should pay for this car?.it is clean body and interior wise.

They are also selling the 24ft enclosed trailer it comes in, what can I pay for that?, maybe a package deal?.

Thanks for any help.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Would need pics and more detail to give a good opinion on price. A basic 24 foot enclosed (without finished interior, cabinets, etc.) should be worth approximately 4 grand around here.

As far as if you should buy the car, it would also depend on how much it is modified from stock. If it is mini-tubbed only, and you like the resto-mod type car, go for it. If it is fully tubbed, and want a stock type suspension for sure, pass on it.

Edited by MARTYW (see edit history)

As soon as I can I will, it is not tubbed so thats good but I dont know what the suspension is like either.

If you saw it it would look like a stock 71 with the exception of centerline wheels on it.She wants 20k for the car but I think thats a bit high considering it has been modded.

If your looking for a numbers matching resto car then you need to make sure of the following...

1: is the motor numbers matching. If so what has all been done to the motor and to what extent outside of the obvious. Me personally would not want a motor that has been punched 60 over that was numbers matching.

2: Is the trans numbers matching. Same rules follows with the motor

3: With the suspension mods has the rearend been messed with. As in different gear, cut to fit the suspension etc etc. All of the above would effect a numbers matching correct car.

4: Try and find a build sheet on the car or look for the codes tag. If it has been repainted is it the factory correct paint? Interior? What options came with the car? Air conditioning? If so is all that stuff still there. If not would you be able to return it back.

There is a lot of stuff to look at when trying to buy a older car if you want it correct. Honestly 20k on that car seems steep. Plus one other real big question which I see to often is... is it a real SS. Clones can be made now and days to look like the real thing. Good luck and be careful on what you choose.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Numbers matching car, you wont find for 20's. $20 for the car is a pretty good deal if the car is solid and there is no filler. For the car and trailer I would offer mid 20's. The car probably has cal trac bars which can be removed easily.

They sent me a copy of the build sheet which states 454,turbo 400 and I think 3:31 rear gears.

All I know so far is the heads are different and obviously the cowl induction air cleaner is gone.

The car sat for 9 yrs before being purchased a few years ago by current and it then sat again for a few years.

The car probably has cal trac bars which can be removed easily.

I highly doubt it has cal tracs but probably square tube snubber bars by looking at it. If it even has those. Its not very "modern"

Doesnt look to "race" ready to me......specially with a 3:31 rear

Provided that the body is in good shape, have all or most of the interior, and the exterior trim is in good shape I think you could talk them into a package deal for it at $20k. I would try to get $18,500 out of them. It does look to be in good shape, but it's hard to tell without actually seeing it in person. If the suspension was modified, it doesn't look to be very much. Maybe some different springs in the rear and some slapper bars, and maybe some springs in the front. Since this is a BB car they used to take some springs from a SB car and put them up front to lower it. I would buy it only if it were under 20k just because it has a good base, and is somewhat desirable in the market.

I am also thinking that the suspension could not have been that modified as it looks basically stock to me.

What are you thinking on price?

Car= $16k

Trailer=$2k

Thanks for the help guys.

Dont go to low and insult them. Do some research on the car and come up with a price. Cars like this even tho they arent matching numbers are worth money. Decode the vin and cowl tag and see where it was built, original color, etc. those two numbers coincide with each other and will tell you the history of the car like when it was built the day week and month etc.

Dont go to low and insult them.

Why start high when he could possibly get it for a cheaper price? The most they are gonna do is say no. Id start low, see what they do and have a counter offer or two in your back pocket just in case.