question to anyone who has cutouts on their SSS and uses it as their d

chvygrl SS

I have cutouts on my 06 SSS, its my daily driver, I've been running with the cutouts open for about 3mos now. The check engine light came on a few days ago, and when I turned it on today it back fired and struggled to start. Has anyone experienced any problems with theirs? Any suggestions or input? I am going to close the cutouts to see if that makes a difference.

Wow long time to have the cutouts open but as long as they are mounted after the O2's it shouldn't make any differance other than no back pressure. I would get a scan tool and check the codes and see what comes up.

That's strange to get a check engine light, then not have any stored codes....

This^^^

A code should've been stored. If your bypassing the muffler and having increased air flow your A/F will be thrown off. I have had this problem running open headered for a day or two waiting to get into the exhaust shop. It threw a lean code so I got my exhaust finished up and cleared it and it never came back. Hope your hearing is still okay, 3 months is a long time :-P

Since it was backfiring it was dumping too much fuel. I agree it is weird that the code wasn't stored. It could be a MAF sensor goin bad. My truck did this when mine started going out.

How long did the light stay on? Did you did connect any battery terminal? Honestly the dealer won't find anything either. I don't want you to throw away money. I would dis connect the battery and reset the computer. Wait a few minutes and re connect. The problem should be gone, and you can try to pull the code again once it throws it

So ifshe was throwing excesive fuel an oil change is probably in order due to the fact that the cylinders were probably being washed with the extra fuel especially since it went on for 3months.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

So ifshe was throwing excesive fuel an oil change is probably in order due to the fact that the cylinders were probably being washed with the extra fuel especially since it went on for 3months.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Says it only happened a few days ago, but I'd check the oil to see if it smells like gas

Edited by The_aSSet (see edit history)