elec fan issue

jon1178

While driving with the windows down I noticed my truck was overheating and quickly realized my fans were not coming on. So I turned on the a.c. and I could hear them come on which cooled the truck back down from about 255*f back down to 200*f . I got lucky. When I got home to check thing out I realized only one fan the pass side was coming on only when the a.c was activated. I swap the fan plug to verify both fans work and they do. I also swapped around the relay and they all seem to work but the driver side fan still is not coming on. I am running the nelson harness. I am at a loss not sure what to try next.

Man I've been driving months without my efans working, I kept wondering why my a/c wouldn't work when the truck wasn't moving and it's been like that for months!!! And finally I got stuck in traffic then it started over heating, your truck shouldn't over heat while moving, it ended being a relay for me good luck hope you fix it

Man I've been driving months without my efans working, I kept wondering why my a/c wouldn't work when the truck wasn't moving and it's been like that for months!!! And finally I got stuck in traffic then it started over heating, your truck shouldn't over heat while moving, it ended being a relay for me good luck hope you fix it

what harness are you using?

Well it turned out to be a relay. I thought I checked all three but I must checked one of them twice by accident. I went ahead and bought two relays that way I could keep a spare in the glove box.

Edited by jon1178 (see edit history)

I have the same problem on my truck. I have the PCM4less harness. and each year right in the middle of summer in AZ (108*) one of the relays melts. I did the same thing, bought one relay from O'reilly auto parts and another for a spare. They have a lifetime warrantee on their relays. I've used the warranty twice now.

• 1 month later...

i had the same thing happen with a black bear harness as well. the relays need to be direct wired instead of the relay harness'. whats happening is the connections are not tight enough in the harness' causing a bad connection then causing the relay to heat up and melt.

Edited by candyman74 (see edit history)