What's underneath

dcairns

HEY D.C.....What's the chances of seeing some pic's of the brake calipers????

thanks ozark66

:chevy:

I will try and get some pics of the calipers tonight. Was too busy last night to get out there before dark.

I have some "clear" paint called "Extend" from permatex that you spray on rusty stuff and it turns the rust black and seals the surface. I tried an experimental spray on half a body mount washer. I will post a pic of how that looks tommorow after is is fully dry. Cleans up with acohol and contains acetone. Not sure if it is safe for the boots on the front axle.

From the inside, drivers side

HPIM0235.JPG

From the inside, passengers side

HPIM0237.JPG

From the outside drivers side

HPIM0245.JPG

DCairns:

Thanks for the info on "Extend" and please post results after it has dried. This surface rust is something we need to address as a group of SS loyalist. The more we discuss this, I feel the better solution will emerge in the end to benefit us all. I believe it was Bob the Builder who mentioned POR as a possible solution. I looked into POR-15 (Paint Over Rust) and it supposedly "captures" the rust and forms an air tight bond over the rust and dries to a flat black color as Bob stated. I called a local paint supplier and he recommended "One Step" or "1-Step" (not exactly sure how to spell) One step can be bought in a spray or can to be brushed on from a small can of paint, and does essentially the same as EXTEND or POR-15.

Do any of you believe it is worth the time to let our local dealers see this problem and what are the chances local dealers will fix this problem????????? I am kind of leery of letting dealerships work on my truck wondering if another problem will suddenly appear. Finally, does anyone know where you can purchase EXTEND or POR-15? Thanks and lets keep talking till we find the best solution for the surface rust problem :cheers::chevy:

Do any of you believe it is worth the time to let our local dealers see this problem and what are the chances local dealers will fix this problem?????????

I belive it is just a cosmetic issue, so I am not worried about it. But like most of us, it does bug me enough to want to fix it. I just take a walk over to my 91 S-10 and remind myself, in 10 years, it really won't matter much how it looks underneath :P

The lower half of the washer was sprayed with Extend. I did not follow the directions and remove any of the rust, and only applied one coat. I guess this shows what one coat can do. It does work, but some surface prep would make for better results. You can see where the edges of the rust spots were turned black but the centers remain rusty. I would imagine that taking a wire brush to it first would produce good results.

HPIM0251.JPG

Talked to a local Chevy service mgr. today and he said if the trucks were stored outside before they were shipped the surface rust wasn't unusal. He also said they don't undercoat them like they use to. He also said this could happen if they get wet during shipping. I didn't tell him about the SS's sitting outside in Canada before being shipped. He advised on the first oil change to bring it in and let them look under it and advise. From the way I described the rust he didn't seem to think it was that big of a deal-----still bugs me anyway :crazy:

You are giong to see this on all pickups whether they are SS or not.Both Chev and GMC . I was surprised to see it on the tie rod adjusters because they appear to have a coating applied or are cast from a different material.However the steering knuckles are a bare casting with no coating. Other than being unsightly I don't think it will affect the life of the truck.

Bob

Archived