First start up with new engine knocking!

MID12sSSS

Again I'm for familiar with the old school engines. But you can pick and choose your pressures by changing springs which were color coated. You have a choice depending on your goals. High volume/low pressure. , high volume/stock pressure. , Low volume/ high pressure and so on! Mid12ss your at least on the right track and answers will come to you soon I'm sure.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again I'm for familiar with the old school engines. But you can pick and choose your pressures by changing springs which were color coated. You have a choice depending on your goals. High volume/low pressure. , high volume/stock pressure. , Low volume/ high pressure and so on! Mid12ss your at least on the right track and answers will come to you soon I'm sure.

I thought on the old school motors if you ordered a high volume oil pump you automatically got high pressure and volume.?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

The center section just under your intake (lifter valley cover) the two embossed dips in it are from what i read in Chevy performance. Were for the knock sensors? i'm doing more research on it now also considering summit racing sells the same cover without the "sensor plate embosses"

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-240055/

Edited by KrausMotorSports (see edit history)

Pulled the motor this weekend. Gonna spend the week tearing it down and inspectin everything. Gonna put all new bearings and head studs on it while its out. The studs would have paid for themselves by now. Pulled the heads 3 times and the torque to yield bolts aren't cheap. Hopefully it's obvious to see what's causing the noise once I'm inside. Then hopefully next weekend I'll be putting it back in. Gotta get some miles on it soon.

• 3 weeks later...

man that sucks , hope you figure it out and its just something stupid. keep us posted!

haha it was something stupid alright. Piston slap! I had 4.00 std. pistons in a 4.030 oversized bore. When i pulled the motor to get inside it, found black double tap marks in ever cylinder. I knew the block was a remanufactured motor and was a 370. But i never measured the pistons when they arrived. The block is getting honed as i type this, and new cam bearings are being installed. When the right pistons and bearings arrive, ill have it back together in no time. Such an amateur mistake, but oh well. ive learned so much with building my own motor rather than bringing it in to a shop. Paying the 300 bucks for a short block assembly is money well spent though. Dont get me wrong. Especially if it comes with a warranty. But i wanted the experience of doing it myself. It was my first engine and in the end, im sure it'll run like a champ. haha so if anyone is looking for 4.00 diamond forged pistons with -2cc valve reliefs, let me know. only about an hour of run time on them.

Edited by MID12sSSS (see edit history)

OMG Hey Live and Learn I suppose. Thats sucks! It's a great achievement when you build your own stuff. Good to see your back on track. Keeps the updates coming as I will be starting mine After the new years! have lots of saving to do!