Portable GPS

Downeast Johnny

I am looking to get one and have been studying them on Amazon but the reviews, (on Amazon), just leave me scratching my head.

Some of the highest rated ones still get hundreds of 1 star reviews.

So I am looking for thoughts from folks who own them. Any brand or model.

Thanks in advance.

John

I suppose it really depends on how much traveling you do on a daily basis. The Garmin Nuvi is the one i use for work and i travel up and down the east coast. Very rarely does it lose a signal or bring me to a completely wrong location. A fair amount of the time it will say i am at my location when its down the street. Only a hand full of the time it doesn't recognize the location. Usually when i punch in the address without the town it shows the location in a different town.

I bought one for my wife last year and spent about 200 on a good quality Garmin Nuvi. The only deference between the crappy one in my work van and the one i bought my wife is a larger screen. You can also download different voices like Stewie from family guy or Christopher Walkins, and map characters, like Rudolph or an Ice Cream truck. My wife thinks its fun. All in all I'm fully satisfied. I believe for a small fee (50$) you can have unlimited map updates. I haven't updated the maps in my work one in over 3 years and I rarely have issues. The only pain in the ass is if you think your location is in a specific town and it doesn't show it it may because it is registered in the Garmin as a different town.