Lq9 - L92 heads

Kido SS

I am chasing a 12.9 run

but still think timing is getting pulled in my tune, killing my times. Best I have had so far is 13.2

I have not been to track at all this year :(

No one ever tells me crap.....good run Joe, very good

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

So head wise is there a big horse power diff between the 2 different heads. If we stay with the stock heads and have them worked with the stock intake we will also want to port the intake as well with a bigger tb correct?

So head wise is there a big horse power diff between the 2 different heads. If we stay with the stock heads and have them worked with the stock intake we will also want to port the intake as well with a bigger tb correct?

depends really lol stock heads kinda stink imo but can be used and still get good results, but 243's are good or if you wanna spend some dough and get some trick flows or something like that. stock intake is okay but id go with a nnbs cathedral intake or tbss intake (porting optional) with the 4 bolt 87/90mm tb. that would wake it up a bit

Nothing, I read on gm performance about this mod and Ive allways wanted to add some hp. I also heard about a Z06 cam but dont know what to do. I kinda feel slow on the street. Also Im going to do the pcm. My sss is an awd can it take more hp?

Yes it can take more power. Kevin ran a 10 sec pass on a 408 ci motor and a 200 shot, Chase ran 10's with his 427 turbo and many other guys in the 11's with their AWD trucks. All of us/them have a built trans and aftermarket converter, but to the best of my knowledge, all stock front shafts, stock front diffs, stock style rear diff(new posi unit in the same size), stock driveshafts(some rebalanced), and stock transfer case.

Ok, give me a nice set up so I wont mess this up. I would like to be at low 13's maybe hi 12's.

It may not seem that fast but low 13's is pretty hard to get with these trucks being NA and stock cubes, to the best of my knowledge only one truck in the 12's(hope that will change soon with builds like Joes and others)

Well id like to take it step by step. First exhaust then in a couple of months another thing or two. I made the question now to see what it would be the best rout.

Don't be so fast to change out your exhaust pipes, I'm a firm believer in the stock pipes but with a dual in/dual out muffler added in. Its hard to beat the flow of dual 2.75 stock pipes blending to a larger tail pipe. Add the $150 muffler and use the money else where.

what mods have u done?

Here is the link to Joes build thread. Its really a good read and full of info.

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/topic/44004-silverado-ss-l92-hc/page__hl__detjoe

depends really lol stock heads kinda stink imo but can be used and still get good results, but 243's are good or if you wanna spend some dough and get some trick flows or something like that. stock intake is okay but id go with a nnbs cathedral intake or tbss intake (porting optional) with the 4 bolt 87/90mm tb. that would wake it up a bit

I think the stock heads are great heads to use for porting. The ls6/243 heads flow pretty much the same but have a better chamber design, a quench pad a think, and are 64 cc stock. I used a set of TEA ported stock heads(317) for a couple of years, and they produced 465 at the wheels before i upgraded.

To save time i don't feel like typing the mid lift numbers(no more then 12 cfm difference), but the ported stock heads flow 328(tea stage 2.5) at .600 lift and the trick flow heads flow 335. So the flow numbers are great on the stock heads, not as good as trick flows but very good. However the design of the trick flow runners and radius and valve angle and chamber design all add up to more power with out blowing your mind on flow number difference. If you have the $2800 to spend, then get the trick flow heads.

If you want the best set of gm cathedral port ported heads then the 243 heads are the way to go, but if you don't want to put the extra money into it the stock heads will work great and make plenty of power for most guys. However the 243 heads will add more compression, which i would do if the extra money is there. Using the 5.3 heads you have to be careful, i think those are 61cc heads so you have to be careful how much compression your adding, not that i wouldn't go there either. if using the ported/decked stock heads i would also use a .041 head gasket to get more compression.

As far as using the l92 heads, I'm not sold on them. When i had my tuning class with Greg Banish i asked him why they went with the new port design and he said they needed to get more power out of the motor using a cam that gave the same driveablity. So they got more hp and the heads flow more, but i will still stick with my cathedral port heads. I hate to sound like I'm stuck in the past, but its the way i feel. Its hard to argue with the price of them for the higher flowing head, and that most guys will love the gains from them, but if I'm asked what head to use, It'll be cathedral ports(based on my own opinions only).

here is a topic that is also a great read with lots of info. make sure to read the links that joe posted

http://www.silverado...e port__st__15

Edited by shadowsniper3006 (see edit history)

So I have a budget of 2500.. Do you think I can build with going the l92 route ..??

Yes, with money to spare if you just do the heads, intake TB and X-link. You could do heads, cam, springs, intake, TB, X-link, injectors, injector harness adaptors and all your gaskets (exhaust, intake manifold, head, timing chain cover and water pump gaskets). IF you shop around and don't mind buying used parts. I'm doing a budget L92 head,intake,cam and torque converter install. I've got most of my parts already and I'm sitting at about 2200. It'll be around 2800 when I have every thing. And yes ive added the rediculous Canadian shipping into that total :-S

Edited by canadianVRss (see edit history)

Great thread. Ive been interested in doing this and learned a lot about the situation at hand with others responses. Then again my build changes by the day....and so does which cai I want to get ha!

Yes, with money to spare if you just do the heads, intake TB and X-link. You could do heads, cam, springs, intake, TB, X-link, injectors, injector harness adaptors and all your gaskets (exhaust, intake manifold, head, timing chain cover and water pump gaskets). IF you shop around and don't mind buying used parts. I'm doing a budget L92 head,intake,cam and torque converter install. I've got most of my parts already and I'm sitting at about 2200. It'll be around 2800 when I have every thing. And yes ive added the rediculous Canadian shipping into that total :-S

can u give us the full combination? L92 heads. what injectors, cam, tb, ect...?

can u give us the full combination? L92 heads. what injectors, cam, tb, ect...?

Comp Texas speed grind 224/228 .581/.588 114LSA

Dual patriot gold springs and patriot locks, retainers and seals

L92 heads with stock valves polished intake and exhaust ports

LS2 HD timing set

FAST #65 pound injectors (and injector spacers cuz I got the ls3 injectors) facepalm*

L92 intake manifold and fuel rails

LS3 90mm TB

Injector adaptors mini Delphi to ev6 (I actually got the ev1 to ev6 adaptors, guess I'm splicing)

L92 stock (5 layer I believe) head gaskets. I talked to detjoe about ls9 head gaskets but they were too over priced.

Exhaust manifold gaskets

GM head bolts

Intake manifold gaskets

V2 or higher X-link (still need this)

Water pump gasket

Timing chain cover gasket

Circle D 3000-3200 stall (still need this)

I probably missed a bit. I'll add it if it comes to mind later.