Lets talk more about the LQ9!

rdavid0412

I have some questions about the LQ9 and its tolerance so here it goes-

What is typically the HP breaking point on a completely stock LQ9?

How Much boost is safe to run without sacrificing power? 8-10 lbs? More?

When is it reccomended to do Head Studs and or Rod Bolts?

Oh wow its a tuff call. there have been guys that make crazy power on a stock LQ9. it really comes down to a good tune at the end of the day. I have ran 12psi and a 65 wet shot on a stock motor. Im not sure how far i'd push the stock rod bolts. i have heard they can be a weak link to a bottom end. what fuel you want to run? I have also smoked a stock motor on 9 lbs of boost. so it just really depends.

Edited by shawnss (see edit history)

If your tune is bang on you'll probably never touch the HP potential of the LQ9. Even with that P1. I've talked with a few guys at Castrol raceway with stock LS variants under 10+ psi and it's amazing what GM has created. It makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck to think that a stock engine will twist the chassis before it'll twist the crank. Considering it became widely avalible in 1999 makes me wonder how other brands even survived!

Just read an article in the new TRUCKIN mag that they just ran 24.2 lbs. of boost on a stock 5.3 making 1308hp. Not saying to do this but our LQ9's aren't too different. I wouldn't feel bad running 12lbs. But again I don't run my stuff hard. Only when necessary.

Just read an article in the new TRUCKIN mag that they just ran 24.2 lbs. of boost on a stock 5.3 making 1308hp. Not saying to do this but our LQ9's aren't too different. I wouldn't feel bad running 12lbs. But again I don't run my stuff hard. Only when necessary.

I thought after more research it was a 4.8?

I thought after more research it was a 4.8?

actually it was the 4.8. sorry your right just saw it! I must have been speed reading. In order for the amount of boost they were throwing towards the so called 160,000 03 silverado stock motor. Keep in mind they re-used all parts, with the exception of Heads cam and Intake. It's just to show the strength of our LS based stock BOTTOM ends

Changed the ring Gap to hold more boost ( used old rings)

Cleaned original pistons

reused the rod and main bearings

reused the crank ( no polish nothing

However they did hone the cylinder walls

http://www.truckinwe...hevy_silverado/

first i had to show off one of our fellow members Chase! I saw this while finding the right link/ Sorry :peelout:

http://www.hotrod.co...ig_bang_theory/

check it out guys! Really interesting stuff! Enjoy!

Edited by KrausMotorSports (see edit history)