cam help!

okay i know theres too many cam threads and all... but i need some help. im stuck on either comp 224/230 .581/.582 or a tsp 224/228 i think im gonna go with the 224/230 but i dont know what lsa i should get. ive been told 112,113, or 114. i dont trust myself to pick cause im new to the cam thing. im gonna run pac 1218 springs and hardened tsp pushrods. im also gonna run either a 2800-3000 or 3000-3200 stall. i realy just need help on the lsa. ive heard the lower number, the lower the powerband is, but other people tell me different stuff. i want it to lope like crazy, but i want it to perform really well over that. mods are in my signature. if yall could help me out id appreciate it!

both are too big 3.73's and big tires. Look at the cam sticky

Too big?

OP: ive run the 224/230 on a 114lsa and it was great, definitely would recommend it to anyone looking for a cam would good pull mid-high rpm and nice driveability. I'd go with a 3200-3400 stall

Too big?

OP: ive run the 224/230 on a 114lsa and it was great, definitely would recommend it to anyone looking for a cam would good pull mid-high rpm and nice driveability. I'd go with a 3200-3400 stall

Would you recommend a 112 lsa? I can't decide on that part

both are too big 3.73's and big tires. Look at the cam sticky

Negative on this......

There are several trucks on here running similar cam specs including my own, either one of those would be a healthy choice I would think.....Cam guru's step in please.....

224 cam is about what i always say for most NA trucks. For our trucks a 3200 stall would work great, a 3400-3600 would be about spot on, but if you have the 3.73 gears you will need more converter to really make it hit hard and 60 foot. But thats if you want the best ET you can get, really a 3200 stall will still be very fun. I ran a 224 cam and a crappy 2900 stall and it took a second to get to the power band, but it still cleared the intersection faster then most cars i raced, again the gears are going to hurt when compared to the 4.10s, not to mention wider/heavier tires.

For sound you would want the 112, for performance i would go with the 114 on your truck. The 114 will require less stall because it has more off idle power, the down side is it will also shift higher(minimal) on a 114 but with stock heads and a 224 cam....don't worry about shift points. My cam was a 113 FYI.

i would get the valve events for each of the cams, or call the seller, and figure out the dynamic compression ratio of each cam before you buy one. I would go with the cam that has a higher DCR number since your not increasing the compression of the motor. This will also help off idle power and stall needed.

well yall helped a ton. im trying to get some 36lb flex fuel injectors now from a guy on pt.net and hopefully that works out too. after all yall said i am definitely going with a 114 lsa.. some people said 113 will sound better and still perform as good as 114. if thats true then ill go with 113. but if not then 114 it is. thanks guys

Negative on this......

There are several trucks on here running similar cam specs including my own, either one of those would be a healthy choice I would think.....Cam guru's step in please.....

what lsa is your cam? were gonna have the same cam probably haha. its a 224/228 isnt it?

Dan's cam is a currently a 228r

http://www.silverado...m +swap +budget

224 on a 114 and a set of ported heads with higher compression.....you'd have a great combo

Edited by shadowsniper3006 (see edit history)

i want mine to chop a lot too! you have a 228r on 112 and only a 3k stall.. i know you have 4.10s too though. i want it to turn heads at red lights. and still perform the best that it can though. if yours is a 112 then maybe i should go with a 113? i was told by my buddy thats also on here (zachm89) i think thats his name that a 114 would chop good too. i think a 113 would be a good medium that should still chop pretty decent and perform. but idk much about this so tell me if im wrong haha.

i want mine to chop a lot too! you have a 228r on 112 and only a 3k stall.. i know you have 4.10s too though. i want it to turn heads at red lights. and still perform the best that it can though. if yours is a 112 then maybe i should go with a 113? i was told by my buddy thats also on here (zachm89) i think thats his name that a 114 would chop good too. i think a 113 would be a good medium that should still chop pretty decent and perform. but idk much about this so tell me if im wrong haha.

My truck has factory 3.73's in the rear, and I just uprgaded to a 3400 stall, the 3000 wasn't enough for the cam. The LSA you choose all depends on what you are looking for......performance? Chop/sound? Or future mods like forced induction? You really should talk to a cam guru like Zippy, Brad(shadowsniper), or Krambo, they can send you in the right direction......

Ahh the overwhelming chop debate haha. What's your end all be all for the truck are you going to go to a better flowing head later or or add boost? cubes? I would move on something that's going to give you everything you can get with the mods you have before I worry too terribly much on the sound. A little chop is okay but all in all my main concern would be your goals. My current cam has a healthy lope to it but it was picked to get the most torque at the low end out of my setup as possible.

well im going with a 3200 coverter.. i guess ill go with a 114 lsa. i was told it will still have a good lope to it where you can tell its cammed for sure. i just want you to be able to tell its cammed. then for it to haul ass to lol. thanks guys. you helped a lot :loser: