Opinions on ported intake?

As the title says, anyone running a ported intake such as from ls2portworks? Currently I'm running a mostly stock lq9. What I am trying to do is upgrade this current motor with parts I can re-use on a 408 i'll be building after the first of the year. Everything will be staying N/A and I won't be running a huge cam/stall combo as this truck will still tow once in awhile. Tuning is not a big deal since I'll be getting a mail in from Wheatley. Would this also be the perfect time for 8.1 injectors as well or wait for the stroker to be built? Some people would say just get a FAST but lets face it, if i can get a truck intake ported for half the price of a FAST, why not? Other than the truck intake is ugly lol. And when you pop the hood and people think its stock.

i know there are a couple companies who will port these intakes. and see gains of 15-20hp on a mild engine and 20+ with mods to support it. If you do have your intake ported; if you plan on getting better heads or have your stockers ported that is when i would get my intake ported by the same company to have them port matched for the smoothest transition possible. I also wouldnt waste time on your stock intake when you can get a 2007+ truck intake relatively cheap and then you can upgrade your tb opening as well so you can get the look of "hey its a stock intake" and still gain the hp thats to be had on the table.... but if you do port your stocker I personally would love to see before and after gains (HP or 1/4 times) ;)

Well after looking around some more, I did find a 2008 truck intake for what I thought is a fair price without the injectors and rails. Can I use the 2003 injectors and rails or does it need the newer style? Think a NNBS intake would be decent for a high torque stroker i'll be building?

• 4 weeks later...

It depends really if the nnbs intake is from a 6.2. If it is then this would be the rectangular LS7 port and will not match up to your cathedral port. You would have to do a L92 conversion which gets expensive. Tb/x-link/ heads /tune/ fuel rail changes if yours is an 03. Opt for a 07 TBSS intake which will match your cathedral port and have that one ported. I think you'll see decent gains from that.

07+ 5.3 intake will bolt up to stock heads. 6.2 is rectangular like mentioned but is L92/LS3 not ls7.

I would do a ported 07+ intake if I was on a budget but if you want a badass intake. Holley hi-ram or fast 102 would be more appropriate for a 408 imo.

Need more info on what you're planning though.