opinion on my possible new exhaust setup plzz

nightmare03

hey everyone, so i have been going back and forth with what to do to my new 2003 ss. she is honestly my baby and i want it to sound like a ****ing monster. i want a deep loud rumble with no rasp at all but def loud...here is my idea and want to see what people think or if there are other recommendations. i was going to go with kooks 1 7/8" long tube headers, some type of x pipe(suggestions on brand please) and then gut my cats and have a magnaflow exhaust. what does everyone think? i know people have tried a lot of different exhaust and i dont have enough money to try more than once, so i need to get it right on the first try, so please help would be great, thank you!

If you gut your cats you'll need to have one hell of a muffler or more than one muffler to kill the rasp. I went, headers, no cats, X-pipe, DI/DO flow pro muffler, then two glass packs, then side exit. All that and it just barely killed the rasp. Everything minus the glass packs after the muffler i still had rasp over 4000rpm so on went the glass packs and that killed it. The whole system is straight through btw.

Do you have the ability or access to build your own plumbing?

I currently run 1 7/8" headers with a reverse y into a single 4" then use the duramax corsa cat back. It's ungodly loud at wide open but driving part throttle it's deep but mellow and no drone in the cab. No cats mind you.

If you go with a magnaflow you will hate life later on they drone really badly in the cab at cruise speeds that's why their system that's a bolt on comes with resonators. What is done to your truck to back up the extra airflow? We are only in Vegas so might be able to help you out if you are interested in a drive out.

what kind of mufflers do you sale frank? i have magna flow and i can back you up when you say they drone bad. seems like when i got them they were good but its like the got warn out maybe i fried all of the packing in them .but at any rate i was looking to get a muffler that is within 18" long maybe 2 separate ones to keep it a true dual reason i want them short is cause i would like for them to exit before the rear wheels with 2 big 6" tips or so.

I can get just about any muffler you want. What I would do on yours is if you go to a bigger header run a bigger pipe possibly true duals Do you run cats now? Any muffler that uses a packing of glass mat or steel mesh wears out and finds a seat over time. I usually stick to a chamber style like a Corsa or a Dynomax VT. Chambers because they have a solid wall instead of slowing down the air as much they defect it and re direct the ambient noise. Granted they do slow down the air a little it doesn't dampen or slow the air like a baffled muffler.. there are huge differences. If you got a chance to see or hear mine you would be in love with it. It's 1 7/8 long tubes dual 3 into a single 4 and a corsa duramax catback. It only drones at 2300 when towing. The main reason mine has any drone is it's really designed for a duramax.