Buying a used sc or turbo?

So I have been trying to decide how I want to add power thought about NA but think the easiest and quickest way is FI. So with that said, I always figured I would buy new. But I've been noticing there are always used sc units for sale on here or eBay. So my question is what are important questions to ask the seller of a used unit. And I sure they are very different for a sc or turbo. Any input would be appreciated. And if you think the idea of used is a bad idea tell me and tell me why so I can weigh my options. Thanks!

First thing when buying any used power adder used is.... they have a shelf life. so cost and ease of rebuild is important. Ask how old the unit is, reasons for selling etc. Other than that a picture is worth a thousand words.

I find that its difficult to find complete kits, and its usually the fuel system you have to piece together. Sometimes its difficult to try and spec your own pumps and injectors. That being said the person selling usually will have a good understanding of any parts you will require.

And ultimately it comes down to your goals with the truck. I have my used Powerdyne for sale. You could put 300 in to it and rebuild it like it came from Powerdyne and run 4lbs boost with no major fuel modifications, or build it to 10lbs for $1500 and a ton of fuel upgrades.

Not sure on the roots style units? when they require rebuilds or cost?

Best bet if you are going to look used is try and find someone from a forum or someone you can directly contact as far as condition verify it etc The main issue with racing junk, ebay craigslist.. you might end up buying something that the reason they wanted to get out of it was simply the fact that they needed to repair it. I can't tell you how many people I have heard of with " used prochargers" they want a deal on getting them fixed and they got such an amazing deal so when it's time to repair it they end up paying more for the used kit than what they can get a used one for.

What's your price limit? Why not just get a decent kit new that you can upgrade later if you want more power? I find more often than not you end up spending as much if not more making used shit work correctly. A used turbo can be rebuilt cheaper than a blower for sure. If you go with a used maggie or a whipple you will save a little but as Powell said you will spend money on fuel upgrades.

If your cash limit is that of doing a cam and heads instead of boost or a forged bottom end stroker why not do that? There is a world of opportunity out there besides buying used blowers or turbos that spending a little bit more can get you brand new and with a warranty and support. Food for thought.

Magnacharger recommends servicing their blowers at 100,000. Usually you'll find the used kits with 10-20k on them needing nothing more than a fuel pump which can be sourced from magnacharger for very reasonable. Buying new is worry free though. I guess it depends on what you're looking to do and what you're wanting to spend.