Starter motor trouble?

Downeast Johnny

Not dead certain yet that my problem is the starter motor.

A couple weeks ago I noticed that she wasn't spinning over quite as fast as usual. My first thought was battery but the slow spinning hasn't gotten worst in the 2 weeks since I first noticed it and the battery doesn't exhibit any other signs of being on the way out. (Motor spins at the same speed whether it's the first start on a cold morning or later in the day with warmer temp's and a warm engine.)

I've tried running headlights for a while to partially drain the battery but it doesn't affect the starter motor spin speed.

More years ago than I wish to confess we used to test starters with a hand held meter that fit over the positive battery cable and read out the current draw of the starter. Anyone know of a modern day tester?

Thanks in advance.

we have a tester that can check it on the vehicle. Autometer makes it and its been pretty accurate

O yea i work for napa your local napa should have it

This sounds a bunch better.

I've got a pretty good relationship with my local Napa guy.

Thanks a bunch for the tip. :cheers:

(By the way; I used to live in Silver Spring. Got a couple brothers still there).