4.8 blown LQ9 finally coming

chawkins6789

I finally did it. I blew my 4.8. It's still drive-able, but one of the head gaskets is shot. I can get a 6.0 and install for $3000 so that's what I am doing. Have to wait until the 1st, but that is only a week.I am hoping it is night and day, but have any you driven both. the new setup will be the LQ9/4L60E/3.42 on my SS reps with 275/55R20's

No funds are not there, I was planning on doing this in February or March, but it couldn't hang on. That 4.8 took a lot of hard miles and has gone through hell and back for me. This will wipe out the bank for me and short me on Christmas funds but I put 400-500 miles a week on my truck and I need it running. The LQ9 will stay mostly stock (tune, intake, exhaust) until the 4L60E goes south.

I'll have to scrounge with only $1000 until the 15th. And coming from that is my gas food and my rental cars.

I make enough to live comfortable but this is a whole months pay. So the savings will drained

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

You've got my sympathy on the hit to the bank account. I hate to see my savings under attack. At least the motor is cheaper than new truck shopping.

How many miles did you get out of the 4.8 ?

Is that a V4 on the back of your boat? Ive got a 94 model 90 HP Johnson V4 on my center console. Just keeps on tickin'. (Coarse I've done a bit of work on her, lately.)

I make enough to live comfortable but this is a whole months pay. So the savings will drained

Thats what saving are for!

I'm curious too see what kind of mileage and quarter mile your get with the 3:42's in the rear with the LQ9! i had the same set up as you in my 01 sierra - 4.8, 4l60e, 3:42's and that thing got amazing mileage on the highway.

Oh with 20's I could pull 22 MPG on a 55 MPH highway. Got 17-19 driving from cali to Utah.

The 4.8 had 130k on it. Tranny out lived the motor.

And it is a Johnson. 125 or 150 horse. 4 cyl I believe. I know its 2 stroke. Its an 86 Cajun bass boat. I've used it once. Got the carpet torn out of it right now.

Edited by chawkins6789 (see edit history)

Everything was in line for this to happen in march. Just hurts that it is now. That 4.8 has been a beast of an engine. Took everything I gave it. Went from cali to Florida and back. Went from cali to Utah and back twice. Towed a 11,000 pound trailer. Towed a horse trailer every weekend. And went from Bakersfield to Fresno and back at least once a week. Shame to see it go