Anyone welded up there own catback exhaust?

Akslowroller

Like the title says, I am wondering if any of you guys have ever built your own exhaust. I recently helped our shop foreman build exhaust for one of our box trucks and thought it turned out great. So now I'm toying with the idea of building my own for the SS. Let me know what experiences you guys have had or any advice you may have.

I've done a number of different exhaust systems, although my SS remains stock lol, on my 57 I did from the headers back, along with another car too. I bought mandrel 180 degree aluminized bends and straight pipe lengths and the mufflers and cut and fit as needed. Worked out great in both cases just time consuming. Since you already have experience I would say go for it, it would be easy since the factory pipe going to the muffler on the SS is great just do whatever you want from there back.

I was kind of wondering if I should do a x-pipe? Or maybe an H-pipe. I already cut my muffler off and welded in a piece of strait pipe. so I think I will start buying a few pieces and go from there. I think it will be cool to have built my own exhaust. I don't know to many guys that have built their own exhaust.

I've ran my own piping on my 86 Chevy trucks and 94 lightning. Turned out awesome! Love the flow master super 44's! But check this idea! My 03 SSS I'm going to run ARH 1 7/8 with 2 1/2 Borla's, x-pipe, and NASCAR boom tube! And unfortunatly high flow cats. Doing this at the beginning of next spring or earlier with 408 build.

Edited by KrausMotorSports (see edit history)

I made mine from the headers back. All out of stainless except for a small section of pipe between my Y and muffler that I am taking out to put my cut-out on. All my connections are with v-band clamps, TIG welded, custom hangers, and I made a stainless tip. I bought a 3" stainless tail pipe I think was for a dakota and chopped out sections to make mine. It also exits in front of the rear wheel. I will get pics of it when I get a chance to crawl under there.

Sounds good. I think I am going to ha e mine exit behind the tires but at kind of an odd angle. Ummm the best way I can describe it is it will exit like the ole muscle cars used to have it. Kind of at a downward and out angle. I have seen a lot of Novas and camaros with it, but never a truck. Think it will look cool and different.