variable squel - squeek from belhousing area

dpoole5074

New to this forum but gonna be around for awhile as I love my new SS...I am getting a variable squel / squeek noise from the bellhousing area on the truck...my mechanics thought it was the tranny so took to the tranny shop and they say it is not the tranny...takes about 15 to 20 minutes of the truck running before the noise comes around and when it does it don't go away...any body have this problem cause I really need some help here,,,the noise is definatly coming from either the flywheel or torque converter area but just not sure what is there to cause it...any info is greatly apperciated,,,,,,Thanks in advance, Doyle

There are a few possibilities, front pump on the trans or bad converter hub bearing. Did your trans guy check these? If I remember right, a member here had a similar noise and it wound up being a warped or cracked flex plate??? Someone please correct me if I am wrong....

thanks for all the reply's guys, I do not know what was checked at the tranny shop just dropped of and showed the noise to them and they called back a couple hours later and said the tranny is fine, what is strange about it is that we used the pulley tensioner and allowed the belt to quit running and the noise was still there but when you engage the a/c from inside the noise will go away for about 3-4 min then come back...and thanks again for all the welcome's

• 1 month later...

MIne is doing the same thing I took it to the shop today and cracked flex plate.

Accidently posted that, Anyone know how much labor this will take the guy said it would be 7.5 hrs labor 80 bucks for the part and he recommended I change out the starter right away, all that for just shy of 1K anyone out there know if this is reasonable or high??

• 3 months later...

Well after months and months of checking my mechanics finally found the problem...while the squeel is going on if you pull the oil dipstick out you could hear alot of pressure get released and the noise would go away...put the dipskick back in and here comes the noise...So we have decided that the intake manifold gasket is probably out and with the supercharger there is to much pressure getting put in the block...changing out soon but thinking of swapping intakes and possible upgrading the heads at the same time, sooo for now I just pull out the dipstick a little and have not had the noise in 3 days (damn that is nice...lol)

Well after months and months of checking my mechanics finally found the problem...while the squeel is going on if you pull the oil dipstick out you could hear alot of pressure get released and the noise would go away...put the dipskick back in and here comes the noise...So we have decided that the intake manifold gasket is probably out and with the supercharger there is to much pressure getting put in the block...changing out soon but thinking of swapping intakes and possible upgrading the heads at the same time, sooo for now I just pull out the dipstick a little and have not had the noise in 3 days (damn that is nice...lol)

Congrat's on figuring out the noise Doyle. Thats gotta be a relief. :thumbsup: